• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bod

Bod

Soldato
Well?
Too much rubbish and spam in GD?
What would YOU like to see in here? More? Less? The same?

What about the backbiting?
And the ever increasing touchy posts, and arguments?

Do you have any improvements you can think of?

Maybe something you'd like to change in GD?

If you have any suggestions about the way GD is at the moment, then please feel free to post them here.

Im not saying they will be acted upon, I want to get the feel of what you all think about it at the moment.

And a final note. Please. DONT try and suggest any change of ANY rule. Its not gonna happen.

Ah fank yoo.

Associate
Why dont you have a sub forum like a hall of shame in GD (where post counts do not go up if you post in it) and the dons can move a blatantly spammed thread into it and deduct 10 post counts from the member who posted spams profile.

Hope that makes sence :rolleyes:

Either that or make GD a forum whereby your post count doesnt go up if you post in it thus losing the main reason for posting spam (i.e. bumping up their post count)

Of course you could make me a don and I shall rule GD with an iron fist. lol

Man of Honour
[edit]

Scrap that.

Lets close GD for 2 months.

Then those that're only here for GD won't be.

That fair? It's the only way we'll lose that element.

Permabanned
Apologies if this falls into the rule-changing category but surely turning off post counts for GD would stop at least some of the mindless spamming?

edit - pointy shadow beat me to it with that point

Man of Honour
Needs more photochoppery. Apart from that I can't really moan. I don't think anyone could argue with the fact that GD has less interesting topics in it these days. With all the forums that have sprung up in the past year or so it leaves GD with a limited topic range. With that in mind I think it actually does quite well, spam here and there but interesting threads still do exist.

Guess what I'm trying to say is I vote AYE.

Associate
c&p of my post in the last thread si it sums up my view on GD

Personally dont see anything wrong with the more "IRC like" threads, okay its not exactly mind-involving discussion, but i dont think GD is like that.

personally think GD is more like the sort of discussion you would have at the pub, occasionally there is a really thought provoking intellectual discussion, but more often that not its the equivelent of "oooer look at the jugs on her", GD is a place to chat, chill out, just "chat", if you dont like a thread, dont read it... (that does require threads to have decent titles however, i do hate badly titled threads)

all completely imho of course

Man of Honour
Originally posted by dirtydog
Apologies if this falls into the rule-changing category but surely turning off post counts for GD would stop at least some of the mindless spamming?

Nah dude, those who really want to spam would do so in other forums that are relatively spam free. If you are talking about turning off post counts, then it would have to be in all forums IMHO. It could work, but I think the Dons would have a harder time looking for spam in the more serious forums.

Associate
I think I may have an idea, if people can be bothered to do it....

Rate every thread you read. That way, if something really is crap and isn't worth the time of day, then perhaps people may just avoid it? At the moment people either vote 5* or don't vote at all.

It'd be interesting to see what happens if thread voting was made compulsory.

Soldato
The problem I find with GD is that there are some really good threads, but they are drowned out by so many poor/irrelevant/uninteresting threads. I know that a mobile phone forum has been rejected in the past but what about a sub forum? Also I think it would be good if people started to rate threads more objectively. That way we know where the good threads are, and where the pointless drivel is. I know its all subjective but I think it would help.

Permabanned
Originally posted by local:hero
At the moment people either vote 5* or don't vote at all.

I've voted 1* a few times ;)

I don't think rating threads would make much difference to be honest.. if (as is apparently the case) some people want to increase their post count in here for the sake of it, I doubt a 1* thread would put them off :)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by FordPrefect
The problem I find with GD is that there are some really good threads, but they are drowned out by so many poor/irrelevant/uninteresting threads. I know that a mobile phone forum has been rejected in the past but what about a sub forum? Also I think it would be good if people started to rate threads more objectively. That way we know where the good threads are, and where the pointless drivel is. I know its all subjective but I think it would help.

The thing is that each time you add a forum because there are 'too many of those flippin posts in GD' it dilutes the quality even further. Yes, there are those that dislike mobile threads, but it isn't that hard not to click on them! I kind of like the idea of a mobile & gadgets type forum, but again my above point puts me off the idea.

Soldato
Originally posted by bitboy
The thing is that each time you add a forum because there are 'too many of those flippin posts in GD' it dilutes the quality even further. Yes, there are those that dislike mobile threads, but it isn't that hard not to click on them! I kind of like the idea of a mobile & gadgets type forum, but again my above point puts me off the idea.

It really depends upon if you think mobile phone threads add quality to GD. I personally think they dont, and in a seperate subforum then the same questions dont pop up everyday.

Like I said earlier there are some real gem threads in GD, I dont always post in them, but they are interesting, but they are diluted and hard to find due to the number of posts in this forum.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by local:hero
I think I may have an idea, if people can be bothered to do it....

Rate every thread you read. That way, if something really is crap and isn't worth the time of day, then perhaps people may just avoid it? At the moment people either vote 5* or don't vote at all.

It'd be interesting to see what happens if thread voting was made compulsory.

Thread voting being made compulsory - certainly a new idea. However, slightly flawed in the fact that it's hard to judge a thread from the first few replies - which is the only way I can think of for such an idea to be setup (ie you vote when you reply to a thread). I either vote 1 star or 5 stars. I see no point in rating a thread mediocre. If it sucks and the poster has put no effort into the thread, I may well vote it one. On the other hand if I like the way the thread is going, it gets blessed with 5 stars. I can usually tell within a few replies if a thread is interesting me or not, so I have to admit I don't find rating threads an important feature.

Permabanned
Maybe you shud just get the powerful types to tell people to calm down a bit more.
Like, sometimes I sit and watch people purposely get peoples backs up and usually the thread ends in a world war and having to be closed etc cos some people were obviously making trouble, TELL people to stfu once in a while and I think more threads could stay open longer. :)

Duno if that makes sense, lol.

Bod

Bod

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Stand_By_Me_Girl
Maybe you shud just get the powerful types to tell people to calm down a bit more.
Like, sometimes I sit and watch people purposely get peoples backs up and usually the thread ends in a world war and having to be closed etc cos some people were obviously making trouble, TELL people to stfu once in a while and I think more threads could stay open longer. :)

Duno if that makes sense, lol.

PERFECT sense chuck, perfect sense indeed.

We've had a few members leave because of the backbiting and bitchyness in here. and its not on.

People are afraid to post incase they get peoples backs up.

WRT the rubbish posts. Especially the posts that have been done very recently. What would everyone think if the GD dons cracked down on it, and either deleted repeats or simply closed them? That would help "undilute" GD a bit more.

Soldato
Originally posted by bitboy
Thread voting being made compulsory - certainly a new idea. However, slightly flawed in the fact that it's hard to judge a thread from the first few replies - which is the only way I can think of for such an idea to be setup (ie you vote when you reply to a thread). I either vote 1 star or 5 stars. I see no point in rating a thread mediocre. If it sucks and the poster has put no effort into the thread, I may well vote it one. On the other hand if I like the way the thread is going, it gets blessed with 5 stars. I can usually tell within a few replies if a thread is interesting me or not, so I have to admit I don't find rating threads an important feature.

but how does it work?

i have voted on threads but it doesnt show up :confused: how about not having compulsory rating.... but threads are 1 star by default and people will be tempted to vote good threads higher and vote bad threads 1 star or not at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom