• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will AM2 equal no new models cpu's for socket 939

Associate
yay second time in a row AMD has done that to me :( - first with S754 and then s939 (just upgraded to opty 170 from a A64 3200 s754) Thanks AMD think you may have just convinced me to go Intel on my next upgrade and the last time I did that was early PIII days

Soldato
OP
Axil said:
yay second time in a row AMD has done that to me :( - first with S754 and then s939 (just upgraded to opty 170 from a A64 3200 s754) Thanks AMD think you may have just convinced me to go Intel on my next upgrade and the last time I did that was early PIII days

You have my luck. :D I bought a new Intel 478 socket mobo and socket 775 came out. I now havean AMD socket 939 and in a few months socket AM2 comes out. :eek:

Didn't someone post about a 3Ghz opty that's coming out for socket 939 not long ago?

Associate
a 3ghz opty came out on socket 940, though i doubt they will do one on 939 as that would be faster than fx57 and amd said they wouldnt do any chips faster than fx57 on 939

Caporegime
Axil said:

You have a great system.Just because a new socket comes out doesn't make your PC obsolete.

Clock that opteron 170 to FX 62 speeds like me.No interest in AM2 Im still up there with the big boys for some time yet!

I wouldn't advise to buy into AM2 straught away anyway.Flakey mobo's with unstable bios' etc....

Wait for a bit until it gets established and the latentcies of the DDR 2 ram gets better.

Soldato
easyrider said:
You have a great system.Just because a new socket comes out doesn't make your PC obsolete.

Clock that opteron 170 to FX 62 speeds like me.No interest in AM2 Im still up there with the big boys for some time yet!

I wouldn't advise to buy into AM2 straught away anyway.Flakey mobo's with unstable bios' etc....

Wait for a bit until it gets established and the latentcies of the DDR 2 ram gets better.

Wait til they bring out a core revision/new processor line up.

the current a64s dont use all the extra memory bandwidth of ddr2, but they have used ddr2 for a reason, so wait for that reason.

Associate
I've pretty much come to accept that I will have to change the mobo when changing the cpu. This time we will also have to change ram to ddr2. A bit annoying - but it is progress and not just change for the sake of change.

Soldato
OP
If you had two pc the same in everyway apart from one using DDR and the other using DDR2 will there realy be a huge dif in performce between them? I think AMD should have carried on with 939 until they could make a CPU thats actualy something special instead of bringing a 939 chip that accepts DDR2 which will be known as socket AM2.

Man of Honour
Defcon5 said:
the current a64s dont use all the extra memory bandwidth of ddr2, but they have used ddr2 for a reason, so wait for that reason.
I would say they have been forced a little by Intel and the main memory manufacturers to move onto DDR2.

Associate
Everyone seems to be engrossed only by amd's current events.

I find this puzzling, I have no preference over amd/intel, I simply buy what is best at the time.

What about intels up and coming? Conroe?

I think most people will be upgrading to that, for the near future, whilst amd come up with something to rival/beat it

Just my opinion

Associate
Processor sockets have a shorter lifespan now than they used to. You just have to get used to the fact that the days of having a Duron 600 to a 1700XP to a 2500XP-M and only going through a couple of boards are gone. It's the same with Intel, sort of, in that most Socket 775 boards will not be compatible with dual core, let alone with Conroe.

I had thought that for my next system I'd probably skip Socket 754 and Socket 939 and move from Socket A to AM2 and just get DDR2 whilst I was at it. But... Socket AM2 looks to have a shorter lifespan than 939 will, as the new K8L core will be using DDR3 and be compatible with FB-DIMM. And it's due within a year. So I'll either drag out my Socket A system for another year, or I'll do a partial upgrade and go Socket 939 after all, which would allow me to keep my RAM at least.

That's not to say that AM2 won't be worth buying. You'll get a fast system at a price roughly equivalent to current prices and have more of an upgrade path. Argh. Choice is such a bad thing!

Back
Top Bottom