Recommend RAM for DFI Ultra-D NF4

Soldato
The DFI mobo's are quite picky when it comes to memory but I haven't seen a definate compatibility list (but there might be one)
It also depends a lot of the BIOS version you have.

I have seen some reports that said there were problems with Corsair and Geil but I can't back that up with evidence.

When I buy a 2Gb kit it will be from OCZ as there is a (Beta) BIOS made by someone from OCZ that works great with OCZ memory and luckily also with other manufacturers (My Ballistix works very good with the 704-2bta BIOS)

Soldato
The main Corsair problems were in the 1GB kits though - the 3500LL's work fine in 2GB :). That's pretty damn good memory but as Dutch Guy said, you cannot fault OCZ in DFI's.

NOTE: orange slots for high FSB and looser timings, yellow for lower FSB and tighter timings - it really does go like this given my experiences. Always start with the orange slots for stability (more general types of memory go in these slots) though then move on to suit your needs.

Soldato
smids said:
NOTE: orange slots for high FSB and looser timings, yellow for lower FSB and tighter timings - it really does go like this given my experiences. Always start with the orange slots for stability (more general types of memory go in these slots) though then move on to suit your needs.
Not heard that one before.

Will have to give that one a go when my Oppy170 turns up, (whilst making the most of my OCZ Platinum that I am still trying to sell :p )

Soldato
PinkFloyd said:
Not heard that one before.

Will have to give that one a go when my Oppy170 turns up, (whilst making the most of my OCZ Platinum that I am still trying to sell :p )
Well, they always say (peeps at DFI street generally) yellow slots were for tight timings e.g. BH5 and Orange for high FSB e.g. TCCD but I never believed it until it actually showed itself when I was last clocking.

Soldato
smids said:
Well, they always say (peeps at DFI street generally) yellow slots were for tight timings e.g. BH5 and Orange for high FSB e.g. TCCD but I never believed it until it actually showed itself when I was last clocking.

Yeah that's what i've read, yet I've got mine running 275Mhz in the Yellow ones! :D Can only imagine what would happen if I ran them in the Orange slots. 300Mhz perhaps? Hmmm!

Permabanned
i think the yellow is for ram requiring higher voltage and the orange for the ram requiring less. Got my 2gb ocz kit in orange slots because i use 2.6v.

Soldato
Mr Mister said:
i think the yellow is for ram requiring higher voltage and the orange for the ram requiring less. Got my 2gb ocz kit in orange slots because i use 2.6v.
Yes, that's true but my results when I was last clocking showed a slightly different trend.

I was clocking @ 2-3-2-5 with my 2GB kit. I wanted to see how far it would go at stock timings. Anyway, orange slots would not go beyond 210mhz or else it would reboot after the verifying DMI pool data screen. Then switched over to the orange and got to 220mhz at the same timings and everything.

Next was seeing high FSB. I clocked in the yellow as the sticks were still in there. I needed 235mhz and so I shot at 2.5-3-2-5 - no go, reboot at the verifying screen again. Managed to get it to boot properly and pass a preliminary memtest of 3-3-2-5. I wasn't happy with this of course as they are rated for 3-3-2-8 250mhz. Swapped over to orange slots and that is where we are now at 235mhz 2.5-3-2-5 memtest stable.

That's just my findings anyway but it seems to show me something ;).

Associate
I use Gskill ZX ram its good for 255 fsb @ 5,2,3,2.5 timmings

dt.jpg

dt2.jpg

Soldato
OP
Well thanks for all the advice, IM sure I'll be posting here soon in distress ;)

Im currently running a pair of 1gb OCZ PC3500. They're great. I think I'll stick to them for my next purchase.

Soldato
Mr Mister said:

I tried putting my ocz in the yellow slots and got nowhere, my monitor kept going black and then coming on again.

Needless to say i wont be using those slots again!

Soldato
I've had one set of OCZ Plat 3200 2-3-2-5 and one set of G.Skill ZX 2-3-2-5 and the G.Skill is the better set (see sig). I have to run loose-ish timings because of my memory controller - the CPU can only do ~ 2.8Ghz with the memory @ 2-3-2-5.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right guys, my DFI and Opty 146 are on their way so now is the time to pick the correct RAM. I'm uncertain about which to get though still. Im looking at the following from the shop:

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC5300 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series EL-DDR2 (OCZ26672048ELGEGXT-K) (MY-064-OC) £139.95 + VAT

Is DDR2 ok for the board? Can I get something better for cheaper?

Soldato
Captain Planet said:
Right guys, my DFI and Opty 146 are on their way so now is the time to pick the correct RAM. I'm uncertain about which to get though still. Im looking at the following from the shop:

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC5300 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series EL-DDR2 (OCZ26672048ELGEGXT-K) (MY-064-OC) £139.95 + VAT

Is DDR2 ok for the board? Can I get something better for cheaper?
Not unless you bought an AM2 board.

You need standard DDR RAM as the pin config is different for DDR2 and DDR and the memory controller will not support it. You can get the same RAM type, just make sure it's DDR though - unless you want the returns team at OcUK to laugh at you - yes, it has happened before to someone on these forums lol :D.

Back
Top Bottom