IPOD Battery problems

Associate
The exact same thing happened to my iPod mini after a year as well - 20 minute battery life!
Fortunately I took out a £1.99 a month insurance at PCWorld when I bought it. They exchanged it for a 4gb Nano at no extra cost :)

But if I hadn't had the insurance I'd have to change the battery. Look in Google for ...ipod, battery, change... there's quite a few resources describing what to do, and many places to buy replacement batteries.

I think it's quite awkwark to change - basically you have to carefully cut the glue out of the sealed ends of the iPod, take out the board inside and remove & replace the battery. But can be messy if not careful.

Soldato
bloodline76 said:
Can you get new batteries for them and if so where and how much?

Yes, to get a proper job you will have to send it back to Apple and pay them to put a new one in if the player is out of warranty, i think its about £30 or so.

Soldato
OP
dmpoole said:
Bought a £19.99 replacement battery from a high street electronics shop and it was a doddle to install.

Yeah I have ordered one as well. How do you get the casing back on, do you need some kind of glue or does it clip back together?

Man of Honour
bloodline76 said:
Yeah I have ordered one as well. How do you get the casing back on, do you need some kind of glue or does it clip back together?

The only things you prise off is the top and the bottom. There was enough glue on the top one but on the bottom I've put a bit of sellotape over.

Quick instructions -

1 - Prise of the top
2 - Prise off the bottom
3 - On the top there are two tiny screws - take them out.
4 - on the bottom is a metal clip that you prise out from all four corners.
5 - This is the difficult/tricky bit.
You now have to get the connector off so be very careful. It is hard to see how big the connector is so look at the ribbon and about 2 mm below that is where the connectors join. Using the flat screwdriver slowly prise around the connector about 2mm from the ribbon. Don't prise from just one place but move around left to right in that area. As soon as that comes off you're sailing.

Caporegime
I'm not sure what you're doing to your iPods to kill them so effectively, but my 4G 20gb that I bought last February is still running like a champ. The battery will regularly last 7 to 8 hours, and it's been used almost every day.

Edit: dmpoole seems to be talking about the mini. What iPod do you have?

Man of Honour
bloodline76 said:
Yeah mine is the mini and I use it every day. Wouldnt get another if this is how long they last but for £20, it is worth a try getting a new battery.

You'll find that the new battery will now last you because the problem was with the original Apple battery.

Soldato
Caged said:
I'm not sure what you're doing to your iPods to kill them so effectively, but my 4G 20gb that I bought last February is still running like a champ. The battery will regularly last 7 to 8 hours, and it's been used almost every day.

Edit: dmpoole seems to be talking about the mini. What iPod do you have?

Yeah same with my old iPod 20Gb. I've had it for a good year and a half and the battery still gets a good 7-8hours as well. It's used regulary and has been dropped a few times to.

Soldato
OP
I got the battery kit and successfully installed and so far it is running well. Havent had to recharge since I got yet.

Definately recommended. Shame apple cant come up with the goods first time around.

Associate
The iPod battery has such a bad rep, that it made it onto BBC's watchdog program.

Apple denied there was a problem ..... makes me glad I didn't buy an iMac :D

My mini is constantly on charge, and I've had it for over a year - no battery problems yet, but I know it's only a matter of time ......

Back
Top Bottom