478 -> 939 upgrade query

Soldato
a mate wants to buy all my AGP parts for his rig, would i be silly to sell on my:
P4 3.2ghz ht (478)
asus P4-P800 (478)
6800GT 256mb AGP

in exchange i will buy off overclockers something like this?
DFI lanparty nforce 4 Deluxe
Opty 144
XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX

would that constitute an upgrade? is that worth swapping to? especially giving that i will be selling this to him at start of july, so wont it be worth waiting till conroe? can i have a few opinions or views to assist me cause i am not sure what dates to keep in mind, idealy i will be building a new rig come Xmas but need a pc in the time being :p

Man of Honour
I'd say it was more of a sideways move than an upgrade, the Opteron should clock well hopefully and going PCI-E might be worthwhile but I don't see it as a huge progression. An Opteron/A64 is better in games but not necessarily by a huge margin and a 6800gt is still a pretty competent card.

Soldato
OP
yes i know its a move sideways, but i was wondering if its better for the long term? should i wait for the price drop between AM2 and conroe making 939 cheaper and then get building then? or sell up 478 now and buy into pci -e and dual core straight away? :confused: cheers

Associate
Booner! said:
yes i know its a move sideways, but i was wondering if its better for the long term? should i wait for the price drop between AM2 and conroe making 939 cheaper and then get building then? or sell up 478 now and buy into pci -e and dual core straight away? :confused: cheers

you are in the exact same position as me as you have a very similar rig to my current one. I'm either going to be bulding a new 939 crossfire system very shortly, or waiting till both AM2 and conroe processors are out. Still undecided :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
hmmm , might wait then cause i am gonna spend a lot on my next pc cause i wanna play spore and the like ;) so want the best for my cash, might wait till conroe/am2 so 939 prices drop...

am i right in saying that i can still use vista with a 939 build if i have the correct GPU ?oh , and a shed load of ram lol

Man of Honour
Booner! said:
am i right in saying that i can still use vista with a 939 build if i have the correct GPU ?oh , and a shed load of ram lol

As far as I am aware you can run Vista on older hardware but without a DX10 graphics card it just won't look as 'pretty'. Microsoft isn't stupid enough to alienate all but hardcore upgraders(we can debate how stupid Microsoft is but simple economics mean they wouldn't).

You could get an ASRock motherboard as they allow 'daughterboards' or similar to support AM2 but if you are set on changing just now I'd probably go with something roughly along the lines of what you have chosen, maybe try for a better graphics card but that is about it :)

Soldato
Booner! said:
hmmm , might wait then cause i am gonna spend a lot on my next pc cause i wanna play spore and the like ;) so want the best for my cash, might wait till conroe/am2 so 939 prices drop...

I asked about 939 prices dropping in the cpu forum, Jokester didn't seem to think they'd go down that much, but I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

Associate
Moved myself from an intel 3.2 to my opty 146 and although slightly quicker in games I still miss my intel for the Windows jobs.

I would personally suggest that you move to something dual core as will be more long-term than a 144.

Associate
sold my p4c e deluxe + P4 3.2HT & ati 800xt ( on the auction site)
bought a athlon 64 system to tick me over till conroe comes out.
find athlons are quicker for booting up and closing down
and in office programs .

with summer coming in those P4s run hot, time to get rid of them.

Soldato
OP
ah gotcha, sorry thought all optys in OcUK collection are dual core, obviously not, but yeh would upgrade to better cpu once i got the money, but a opty 146 for the time being be better than 3.2 P4 pressler (478)

Associate
i went with athlon 3.2 so its a bit faster than my p4 3.2 1mb cache and runs way cooler, the 146 opteron should give you a boost with the 1mb cache

Back
Top Bottom