Low flying helicopters

Permabanned
We have been plagued recently by low flying helicopters of various designs, and at varying times but this evening took the ****. At about half past 7, one of those 2 rotor jobbies (chinook?) flew so low over the house, it woke the baby, who was then so upset, it took us over an hour to get him back to sleep. We could see the personel inside it was so low. I know that pilots have to practise, but is it necessary to do so over houses? They often fly low during the day when he is napping, and during the summer when we have all the windows open, he is often woken up.

Is it worth complaining to anyone, or would I be wasting a stamp?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
yermum said:
We have been plagued recently by low flying helicopters of various designs, and at varying times but this evening took the ****. At about half past 7, one of those 2 rotor jobbies (chinook?) flew so low over the house, it woke the baby, who was then so upset, it took us over an hour to get him back to sleep. We could see the personel inside it was so low. I know that pilots have to practise, but is it necessary to do so over houses? They often fly low during the day when he is napping, and during the summer when we have all the windows open, he is often woken up.

Would you rather them do it at night :/

Caporegime
yermum said:

You rather them do it at 3am at Christmas in the middle of winter?

I don't think you'll get anywhere, I am used to it since my grew up in Hereford. The SAS practice with 2 Choppers, see it more often than not.

Permabanned
yermum said:

your so lucky i love them to fly close over me, i love helicopters :D

Man of Honour
You'll get used to it after a while. After a lifetime living in Northern Ireland with Chinooks, Lynxs, Wessexs and Pumas hovering 1000ft above my house every day I can sleep right through it now.

Soldato
If its military, then no, you cant do anything, grin and bear it. BUT when its a civillian helicopter they have a floor limit which they are not allowed under in built up areas unless for emergency landing or at a landing area. If they break that you can report them and they can be fined. But i cannot remember what that limit/height is.

Soldato
Legally they can do it as much as they like, but they do take complaints seriously. Say when and where, and they will know the pilot.

Of course, they may get grumpy and will practice breaching buildings using your house at 3am.

Man of Honour
Magic_x_uk said:
If its military, then no, you cant do anything, grin and bear it. BUT when its a civillian helicopter they have a floor limit which they are not allowed under in built up areas unless for emergency landing or at a landing area. If they break that you can report them and they can be fined. But i cannot remember what that limit/height is.

500ft within any person, object or vessel unless over a built up area where they have to fly at 1500ft or at a height sufficient to allow them to alight clear in the event of an engine failure.
These rules don't apply when the aircraft is departing or on final approach to a landing area.

Soldato
Scuzi said:
500ft within any person. object or vessel unless over a built up area where they have to fly at 1500ft or at a height sufficient to allow them to alight clear in the event of an engine failure.
These rules don't apply when the aircraft is departing or on final approach to a landing area.
It's my Air Law exam all over again! :D

Soldato
If you live near a military base then you have two options, either get used to it or move!
I went to a house in Charlwood some time back and it was right on the end of the gatwick runway, every 3 minutes there was a plane going over on full throttle as they were leaving the airport. Thats what I'd call noisy.

Permabanned
Scuzi said:

Bumnuggets. There's a helipad directly over the river from me; they take off and approach over my way.

Luckily it's daytime only :)

*n

Associate
Practice low-level manoeuvring if theyre military I guess, and if its civil, you get a better view close up of things and its more exciting to fly lower. Also if the weathers crap you may have no choice!

Back
Top Bottom