• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

gaming at 1680x1050

Soldato
why not get a x1900xt if you sell your present card to offset a bit of the cost - they are quieter than the X1800 's and on a par with 7900's and hey are all 512Mb

You dont have enough posts to get into MM , but you could still sell via the other site

Soldato
I think he may aswell RMA it since theres nout wrong with the card except he put the cooler on badly, im sure the manufacturer will sort that out thinking its their fault.

Associate
To OP:

Go option 1.

I woud get the monitor and try it out. Then you can make a decision on whether or not the upgrade will be worth it.

1680*1050 isn't that high of a resolution for a 7800, but if you find out you can't take playing at it, then you can upgrade.

Associate
Hi Foxxx,

I've got a 20" monitor and before a couple of weeks ago i was using a Gainward 6800GT GS which was surprisingly good for Source games at native and full candy and BF2 at native and full candy.

I've switched now to a 7800GS+ which means that i can run FEAR at 1280x1024 with some of the eye candy and no slowdown.

I would recommend getting the 20" monitor and then seeing how your current card performs as thefranklin has recommended. It will defo struggle with Fear though at the native!

One thing is that with that native resolution you will probably have to upgrade soonish to keep on playing the latest games with full eye candy (compared to a lower resolution that is!)

Associate
OP
thats sorta part of my enquiry, how well/bad to they scale the resolutiosn down, something like a dell 2007(if i find banding issues gone), or a Benq or a belinia 20inch?

Associate
I've got the slightly older 2005 which i can say that you would notice the non-native resolution a little if you were looking. I can defo see the lack of crispness working at 1280x1024 (through a VGA Cable) from my laptop in Microsoft Word but i can honestly say that playing at that res on FEAR doesn't look that bad.

I could certaintly live with it!

Back
Top Bottom