Does *nix have uses?

Associate
I realised whilst I was at work I have a spare PC which I built a while ago from spares. Its no beast, runs 98SE at the moment, and has no screen. However with monitors so cheap on Flea-Bay I could easily get one, and maybe put a *nix on it.

If I was to do that, what uses do *nix's have, other than hardcore servers? Will it be at all worth my time? Sell it to me lol ;) What can I do with it?

Thanks, Daniel

Associate
;) <----- clicky

Depends what you like to do really, it's fun, after a while people may start to associate you with penguins (for one period in my life I started to recieve pictures of Wheezy (from the cartoon story) - penguin-knapped - through the post, there was a gnome involved too but that was before I got into to Linux... I'll have to scan the pictures one day for the interweb).

I like the messaboutability of *nix and all the free stuff, including fun games such as I have no tomatoes!!!, amarok - the fantastic!!!!!!! music collection organiser player program :) - not sure how it will run on a 98SE type spec machine. Depends what you like really, any particular things you'd like to mess about with? I've always fancied building a MythTv box but not got round to it yet, or got all the parts :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok thanks... I'll consider it as something to look into, I liked that presentation though! :p

I was considering the TV recording theme myself, we're still using video tapes here so I think my parents would appreciate it! Is that actually legal BTW?

Daniel

Associate
None. *nix is an old and outdated model of running computers. Having computers that can actually do something without resorting to 300,000,000 pop-up boxes, and insanely pointless 'OK' buttons, is just too 90's.

Personally, I'd donate it to Bill Gates.

Soldato
earlyflash said:
None. *nix is an old and outdated model of running computers. Having computers that can actually do something without resorting to 300,000,000 pop-up boxes, and insanely pointless 'OK' buttons, is just too 90's.

Personally, I'd donate it to Bill Gates.

Unix ain't outdated, look at OS X! That runs unix under the hood and its the most advanced OS on the planet.

how does that fit into "outdated"

Rich

Back
Top Bottom