Aftermarket air filters - cleaning

Soldato
How many miles do people do before cleaning the air filter?

Mine's done maybe 18,000 miles - it's a paper filter in a cage type cone thing - not cleaned it yet but I've got the solution & oil spray bottles in the garage somewhere.

Last question - the induction kit come with a K&N sticker - where should I place it for maximum bhp gain?

Associate
merlin said:
Last question - the induction kit come with a K&N sticker - where should I place it for maximum bhp gain?

Directly below the MAX POWER sticker will provide most gains ;)

As to the real thread I normally clean mine every oil change just as a routine.

<ninja edit>
that said mine is a cotton style one
</ninja>

Soldato
Check the instructions with your filter... should tell you in there :)

I always like stickers in the engine bay... perhaps on the strut brace if you have one. If not, on the slam panel.

The further forward in the engine bay, the more downforce you get!

Soldato
OP
Simon said:
Can't clean paper ones?

:confused:

Well Gruppe M told me which K&N cleaning kit to buy - which is what I got.

And since then Gruppe M now ship them with the kit included free.

Bear in mind the paper isn't loose - it's caged (pressed) with a metal mesh both sides.

Soldato
I tend to do mine quite often since I change from an induction kit to the airbox depending on the season. Since underbonnet temps in summer are higher and the Clio has about <--> much room in the engine bay spare, it sucks up hot air all the time - hence the airbox. I'd certainly have a look every 10k though - more so in winter since there's more **** in the air!

Anyhoo, first thing I tend to do is wash it out with water backwards - that is from the engine side out. You don't want to do it the other way else you're helping push the dirt in to the filter. Wash it the other way around and you'll hopefully be pushing dirt out. After that apply the cleaner, and agitate it with a brush. Leave it for 10 mins or so to soak in properly, then brush and rinse, again engine side out. Leave to dry out, refit and jobs a good en :)

Back
Top Bottom