Any websites to find lockup garages?

Associate
Get in touch with your local authority - probably best to go to your District Council, rather than County Council. My landlord has just rented a single garage down the road from the house for £5 per week.

Alternatively, the local rag is sometimes a good place to look.

I know it's not websites like you asked for, but it's a start!

Hope this helps.

Soldato
Depends where you are, and what kind of lockup you want.

For standard garage sites, you r local council would be a good place to start. for Lockups and workshops, look in the Local propery papers, that's where I got mine a while ago.

Soldato
Local council then, their rates are a lot cheaper than my lockup was, and you won't have to bother with council tax for it.

If you can't acutuall y get one online, your local council website should give you contact details to apply for one.

Soldato
spose that depends where you are,

I'm in Kirklees (up north) and I have 2 garage plots, one with a garage and one without, they cost me £40 apiece annually. The prices are increasing at 9% until 2007( or 8) then inflation linked thereafter. I do have the extra cost of actually putting a structure on them, but cheapo 2nd hand concrete sectional gages can be had for £150.

I've got them until I no longer want them, or the council want them back. (They could decide to put housing on them I suppose, bu I think the ones I have are pretty safe). If I ever want rid of the plots, I have to remove the structures, in practice though I'd just sell the structures in place to the next tennant.

As a comparison, we where paying £120 a month for a private Lockup used as a domestic garage. It would fit 4 cars and still have some space to work. We had it for a couple of years, but the council suddenly decided we should be paying business rate tax on it and wanted about £2000 in back tax. We got them to wiave the back tax, as we where originally told it was exempt, but they then want £800 a year in tax, so we packed it in.

Back
Top Bottom