Question about a case....

Associate
Hi dudes, man do i love asking question :D

anyway, I'm thinking of getting the Enermax CS-527 Case Black because i think it looks mint, and also because its nice and cheap, anyway.

My question is how do people ventilate their cases so well, as i know there is space for 3 fans in this case (correct me if im wrong), so i would buy 3 case fans. But im not the best at keeping a case ventilated as my current setup keeps dying :(
would you just simply have one blowing air in and 2 blowing air out? if so do you then need extractor fans, or do you just turn the case fan around the other way (how dense i know)

thanks in advance

Associate
You should ideally have as many fans sucking air from the case as blowing into the case, this will give ideal airflow.

You can just reverse a fan, yes, that works.

Associate
OP
as opposed to getting a proper exhaust fan ? I ask this because i was going to get the Akasa amber fans, and just turn them around, is this the easiest method ? or am I just being dense?

Associate
There are 3 factors to cooling a case.

1) is a well designed case. For instance if the front of the case has poor vents in it then an input fan will struggle.
2) a tidy interior. There is no excuse for poor cable routing and poor cable routing can badly effect the flow inside a case. This is the interior of my PC7 for example.

PC7.jpg

3) Proper installation of fans. Rear and top fans should extract, if you have a CPU cooler with a virtical fan such as a Freezer Pro that should blow towards the rear of the case. Front and side fans should suck air in.

Regarding the Enermex ( incidently this is definatly in the wrong forum ) I'm not sure it's a particularly good case. Just looking at the picture there appears to be no front vent = poor input air flow = harder to keep cool.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thank you very much and thanks for the picture, i do intend to be using a freezer 64 with my athlon, purely to keep the thing cool! i will be taking all of this into account, sorry for this being in the wrong forum, any ideas on a good case with good ventilation?

Associate
kmistry said:
thank you very much and thanks for the picture, i do intend to be using a freezer 64 with my athlon, purely to keep the thing cool! i will be taking all of this into account, sorry for this being in the wrong forum, any ideas on a good case with good ventilation?

Lian-Li PC7+ :)

The enermax MAY be ok ( guru's in the case forum will know ) but looking at it I don't think so.

Soldato
I find if you have good air flowing in and even better (hot/dirty) air flowing out, then the rest of the PC should remain cool, especially the processor. General rule is to have a fan (120mm or 2x80mm) sucking-in at the front & another 1, or 2, sucking-out the hot air. Good GFX's & PSU's should get rid of their own hot air, which would aid even further. AND avoid backing up the case against a wall or tight space. Found my case was just taking back-in the hot air + ran my fans at full speed thinking they were not working :mad: With a few readjustments/modifications (nothing bought) managed to lower my temps by 4°C & noise to a very acceptable level. Tidying up the case is also important in the sense of airflow once (the air's) inside the case.

I second the Lian-Li PC7+ :D

EDIT: Just wanted to add that fans have 2 small arrows engraved on the side showing you which direction it will spin & the second arrow the direction of the air. So, the latter basically points the direction the air will go. On black fans, you'll have to look a-bit harder to see the engravings.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought i was looking at mine there :eek: , only mines not that dusty and leads/fans/case etc.. are different, but the board and the x1800 are the same, looks like the Ram is to if thats Geil Value. :D

Associate
williamw11 said:
OT Dom how do you find that mobo. Is it any good for overclocking?
I think it's great, pretty good for clocking ( only done minor clocks on it but the options are there to go higher ). The issues that people have flagged with them only occur when you push them hard ( i.e high core voltages ) but for air clocking I can't fault it. Plus of course the sound is SUPERB.

Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
I thought i was looking at mine there :eek: , only mines not that dusty and leads/fans/case etc.. are different, but the board and the x1800 are the same, looks like the Ram is to if thats Geil Value. :D
Yep :-

Lian Li PC7+ Silver case
Tagan modular PSU
Akaska Amber Fans
Geil Value Ram
X2 3800+ CPU
Powercolor X1800XT
A8R-MVP mobo
Samsung Spinpoint HDD

:)

Soldato
Another vote here for the Lians.

I have had one for err....over 5 years (one of the originals like this )

It's stood the test of time, and is sooo easy to work with.
Removable mobo tray is nice, but not a must.

I have worked on many PCs over the years, and the Lian is user friendly and so much better made than most of the metal jobs (it's also aluminium and light)

My old Lian (I have 2) had a noisy front fan after 5 years usage, so I just replaced them with a couple of these.
My newer Lian has the top blow-hole that my early one doesn't have.

I think it's like a Porsche 911.
They got the design right more or less first time, and all they have done is tweaked it every few years.

I don't like the V series Lians, and they also can't handle really deep PSU's.

EDIT: This little touch on the Lian is a treat to use as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom