Your preferred programming environment

Soldato
I'd just come in here expecting an IDE discussion.

personally, a clear head, sans hangover, a comfy chair and nice big desk, a clear well done object level design. Now I'll need no inturuptions, a constant suply of decent coffee, my cat alseep on my feet keeping my toes warm.. Music is normally from iTunes radio thingy, I like groove salad on soma FM for coding.

Unfortunately I'm stuck in the office, hacking together some stuff with no time for design and no clear requirements, the coffee's terrible and every time I put my headphones on my manager asks me questions about unrelated topics. My cat's are at home being lonely and this chair makes my back hurt.

At least I get paid ;)

HT

Soldato
I like to be slightly (or fairly) high on sugar, listening to something that's a little hyper. Then I can just go for 4 hours solid and get more done than I would in a couple of days of being normal.

I get funny looks at work.

Man of Honour
OP
happytechie said:
I'd just come in here expecting an IDE discussion.
lol, yeah I realised that just after I hit the submit button :)
happytechie said:
At least I get paid ;)
One of the best motivators for coding, IMHO.. that and free tea/coffee here at work. Mind you, having to slum it and reverse-engineer some archaic ASP intranet site I inherited is seriously trying my patience today.. why oh why won't the powers that be let me re-write it in ASP.NET, could have re-written it in half the time it's currently taken me to make the changes ot the current spaghetti ASP code :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Being office-based seems utterly ridiculous these days for developers. I'd much rather be home-based and drift out of bed and sit at PC with a nice cuppa to start my day with my music, but then again I'd probably never get anything done.

Caporegime
Nice cool office, big clear desk, supportive chair (i.e. not too comfy) I prefer to work at work, not home.. I can't do work at home, it just doesn't happen, far too many distractions and I prefer to keep them very much seperate. :)

Nice chilled bottle of diet coke, and a decent machine! This POS T21 with old monitor royally sucks.

Man of Honour
OP
Dj_Jestar said:
Nice cool office, big clear desk, supportive chair (i.e. not too comfy) I prefer to work at work, not home.. I can't do work at home, it just doesn't happen, far too many distractions and I prefer to keep them very much seperate. :)

Nice chilled bottle of diet coke, and a decent machine! This POS T21 with old monitor royally sucks.
Strangely, I have found that my productivity is actually higher when I work from home - we can vpn into the corporate network and do everything as if we were in the office. We can also make calls using MS Communicator to anyone else in the company so we don't even have to stump up any phone costs. It should be even better when NTL upgrade us 2mbit users to 4mbit down/400kbit up :)

I was using a T21 until we got a pallet-load of 43's in.. man, what a breath of fresh air! Mind you, VS2005 still takes a while to load ;)

Caporegime
riddlermarc said:
Strangely, I have found that my productivity is actually higher when I work from home - we can vpn into the corporate network and do everything as if we were in the office. We can also make calls using MS Communicator to anyone else in the company so we don't even have to stump up any phone costs. It should be even better when NTL upgrade us 2mbit users to 4mbit down/400kbit up :)

I was using a T21 until we got a pallet-load of 43's in.. man, what a breath of fresh air! Mind you, VS2005 still takes a while to load ;)
I have tried working from home, and it's my fault more than anything that it doesn't work out - I simply get distracted far too easily, however when at work I am in "work mode" and tend to get on with things a lot more :)

Soldato
Beepcake said:
Sat in the La-Z-Boy, half reclined, either beer or red wine next to me and some trashy film/TV on the telly.. maybe throw a few munchies into the mix too :)

This sounds good, however I'd probably only work between say 2pm and 2am with this kind of setup :)

Soldato
Proper big imitation leather chair, big clear wooden desk, plants, windows, air and light, Bach and a 20" TFT. At home I'm not far off that; work has a way to go yet ;)

arty

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Moby or some MoS music in the background (or Chris Moyles upto 10am), total isolation, office of my own, window open, coffee on tap, shoes off, legs on chair, keyboard on legs.

That's me done till 17:30.

Soldato
Lithium said:
on crack cocaine.

well said sir. the correct environment for all programmers!

seriously though. i started coding in my old bedroom and did it generally right through the nights. chocolate, sarnies, crisps, coke, coffees. nocturnal programming for the teenager.

now i work in an office environment. i dress fairly smart. i try to smell good. i try to speak clearly.

but i still consume a hell of a lot of caffeine and i'm surrounded by people that are enthusiastic about technology and software and business, and right now that's what matters for me. so i like this a lot.

always miss those long eerie nights programming in my room though!

Soldato
Comfy chair, enough Diet Coke to sink an aircraft carrier, non-tiredness, air-conditioning, some nice headphones and some Shostakovich.

I only have three of these in my current environment :(

Sic

Sic

Soldato
naturally lit (or simulated natural light) room, no background noise, my crappy old office chair, powerbook, mini-fridge full of sprite and water.

main theme - no distractions, please.

Permabanned
A naturally lit room. Clear design, no deistractions, peace and quiet.

Dual TFTs - one for documentation, one for the IDE (IDEA IntelliJ, since you ask....)

Back
Top Bottom