Weird Directory

Associate
Hi,

I've just come across a strange directory in my documents and settings that is taking up nearly 2gb of space on my windows hard drive. Obviously I'd like to find out what it is, and whether I can delete it! I found it by using a program called treepie, which displays the location and size of folders and directories on your computer in a graphical interface that allows you to navigate through different levels and see where you are using the most space.

The folder I found is located at C:\documents and settings\localauthority.000\local settings\temporary internet files\antiphishing\\. What is odd however, is that I cannot navigate to this directory in any way. I have all the usual options on so that windows does not hide any files, but this directory is still protected. Searching around on the net only yeilded me one major result, which is that this seems to be something to do with IE7. My problem is that I have two copies of this directory, one left over from a recent windows install.

If anyone has any ideas about dealing with this that'd be great, short of total format. I have XP Home SP2 with all the latest patches, and am running IE7. Thanks for your help.

Soldato
Empty your internet explorere cache and that should sort it.

Or login as under another account and navigate to the folder and delete it.

Associate
OP
I've deleted my cache, and tried under a different user already. The directory doesn't show up in any other program either, which is quite strange, just tried to delete it using a McAfee program which also didn't recognise it as there.

Soldato
have you tryed looking in the command console to see if the folder is there?

Start>Run type CMD.exe click ok

in the black command console window type the following

Code:
cd\
cd "documents and settings"
dir /ah

The CD command changed directory and the dir /ah will list all hidden files and folders inside the documents and settings folder

Associate
OP
Hey, just tried what you suggested. The directory doens't appear under the console, and if I try and just open the directory using the cd command, I get an access denied message. Thanks for your help so far.

Back
Top Bottom