Uk pick up = american trucks?

Soldato
Lately, i have been seeing all sort of UK pick up vehicle kinda copying the looks of Ameican trucks. The nissan pick up (06 reg) kinda looks like the ford f150 syle. They are also making them (uk pick ups) longer and huger than before.
Anyone else notice this trends and where is this so? :confused:

Soldato
I think they have started to make some better trucks for the UK market, as the UK ones have never been anything like what is available in the North American market.

It's kind of also a different culture really though, I've just come back from living in Canada for a year and a half and everyone in the mountain towns drives a truck, they are really useful.

Trucks are also really popular with people who like modifying their cars, regardless if they are actually using it to haul about things. I can't really see people needing the use of them so much over here, which is why they have never released the same kind of trucks over here.

Associate
Trucks are becoming popular in the UK because of a company car tax loophole. There's no other real reason for buying one unless you regularly make use of the load space (and aren't worried about your weekly shopping getting nicked while you sit at traffic lights!!! They drive poorly and have limited (if any) rear legroom.

Also, UK spec trucks tend to come with relatively low powered diesels. US spec trucks are more likely to have monster V8 petrols (although given recent price increases, this may well change).

Caporegime
I only know one person who genuinely needs one. My mate who is a landscape gardener, uses his loadspace to the maximum possible. Used to have one of thse HiLux thingies that topgear tried to kill (so definately wasn't in it for the looks or the posability of a pickup), now has an 05 plate L200, still used for what god intended it to be for though (it goes offroad a good 10-20 times a week)!

Can't see the point in things like the road only versions of the F150, kind of defeats the point of having a vehicle like that in the first place. :confused:

Caporegime
In a straight line, fine. Offroad (if you buy the right one), fine. Come to a corner, you had better practically stop.

And they are cheap because they are built cheap. My mates L200 interior is shockingly bad, reminds me of a 1980's volvo.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Give me a 80's Volkswagon Caddy pickup, lowered the to balls on airbags (DIY you say?) with some arch highlights.

Completely pointless really, but they rock my boat sooooooooo much.

I blame Penski really.

Also are these trucks designed in the UK? Mostly Jap companies so id assume they are designed there and built in the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
axe said:
just wondering what a pick up can do which a van cant?

Make you look gangster, a rich dude that plays in the premiership, intimidate other road users, and makes you so fly that ladies wanna have you babies (Only applicable if you drive a F150) :D Now top that.

Caporegime
axe said:
just wondering what a pick up can do which a van cant?

You cant really put oversized objects in a van, it either fits or it doesn't. Then there is the ease of access, plus the fact that throwing dirty things in the back of a pickup is slightly easier to clean than inside a van.

You could quite easily pressure wash the loading area of a pickup, you wouldn't want to do that inside a van!

Associate
I'd love a big american pickup with a massive 5.8l V8 or something.

One with big enough room to seat 5 adults comfortably.

The thing is - americans like having the hardware to do stuff. So they will have a massive pickup for the off chance they need to transport something - just like they will have a garage full of tools for the off chance the need to build a house or a bridge.

For most things an estate would meet my needs...but id still have one :)

Soldato
Where I was in Canada, most people used their truck to transport their snowmobiles, atvs and mountain bikes. You could also probably put your shopping in the back without fear of anyone nicking like here. :rolleyes:

I used to drive a big GMC Sierra truck up and down a mountain last summer, that was fun.

Associate
I'll see about getting a picture of a friends pickup, Old Toyota Hilux, with shortened rear end, raised sus, almost locked diffs, big wheels + tyres, 9ton winch etc. It's a little beasty!

Back
Top Bottom