OMG SD TV rocks!!!

Permabanned
Right, errr, well tough one to explain is this. I've been playing 360 for about errrr 4 months or so. All on an SD tv. A 21" 4:3 aspect Bush jobee with a 3 inch hairline crack in the screen and a severe problem displaying green without it blurring horrendously.

I've still been more than impressed with graphics on the 360, except for rather bright, blurry grassy scenes that made me wanna throw up.

Now the way to solve the 'green' issue i thought was with an RGB cable rather than the component HD. So i ordered one off the bay for about £6. So far so fish and chips.

So i get the cable through and excitedly wap it in. Wow looks good. All the colours are crisp, text is still largely illegble, but ever since i got a 360 i put this down to not having a HDTV, thus ignored it fully.

So with itchy feet and money in the bank i thought, "Sod it" and picked up a copy of the AD paper, found a 1yr old 32" Widescreen TV for £80 and thought, "yeah lets go for this". Sure i'd have prefered a nice big LCD but heck i could have this NOW! So off i trundle, into the black heart of deepest darkest Neath some 90miles away. And i find that what i thought was some old knackered widescreen. Was in fact an immaculate silver pure flat telly sporting a marvelous picture, 3 scarts (only ever had TV's with one before lol) and great virtual surround sound. Clearly the elderly folks selling it were unaware of its true value (tho to be fair maybe only £130 ish).

Happily me and the missus plonk it in the car and speed off home. Put the heavy bugger upstairs and plug in the 360 with my spangly new RGB......OMFG!!!!! WHAT THE HELL HAVE I BEEN PLAYING ON!!!! Why anyone needs a HDTV is truly beyond me, it just looks stunning, i can read all the text, all the colours are perfect. The wide aspect 16/9 is astonishing and amazing in movies (yes yes i have in fact been living in the dark ages) and i couldnt be happier!

Sure i will own a big HD sometime, but at least now i can put that 1k to better use for a while, all the time enjoying crisp brilliant widescreen gaming on my new £80 set.

So for any of you out there like me who use an old battered SD TV due to the expense of HD kit, go for a nice widescreen, it's soooooooo good, im in love!

Soldato
wierdo :p

i have mine running on my dell 20.1" via VGA / 28" CRT Widescreen via Scart or if im home and my folks are out a 40" HDTV via component.

Obviously the HDTV looks best - but it still looks lovely on all of them.

and congrats on getting a bargain :)

Soldato
i play on a 20" SD tv with the RGB cable and its pretty damn good tbh the picture quality is great and txt is all easily readable.

Use the mrs widescreen tele as well and thats great for gaming!

Soldato
Why anyone needs a HDTV is truly beyond me

But you didnt even test its HD goodness... youve gone from SD to SD... not to rock your boat because £80 sounds like a bargain on that tele but you are still yet to experience 720p.. :D

Associate
I don't have a 360, but i picked up a (non windescreen) 29" CRT TV for a bargain £27, Its a top end panasonic from 1999/2000. With RGB Scart, S-video, Nicam etc...

Picture is stunning, know quite a few peeps with LCD's, even fancy HDTV ones, that when running SD content don't look as good as on mine.

Plan to pick me up a high end 36 inch one when i have the room....

Associate
I so agree. I bought a Joytech VGA cable to use on my 17" TFT and although it looks sharp and fresh (especially the lovely Dashboard), the colours weren't right and because it looked sharper, the crazy edges and stuff (because my TFT isn't widescreen) looked more noticable. Then I tried it on my 28" non-HDTV non-flat widescreen SDTV and man, colours look all wonderful and edges look better. I should really be using my 28" until I REALLY need a HDTV but because I bought a VGA cable, it would be a waste to not use it so I guess it's TFT for the time being....

Permabanned
OP
sharingan_sasuk said:
I so agree. I bought a Joytech VGA cable to use on my 17" TFT and although it looks sharp and fresh (especially the lovely Dashboard), the colours weren't right and because it looked sharper, the crazy edges and stuff (because my TFT isn't widescreen) looked more noticable. Then I tried it on my 28" non-HDTV non-flat widescreen SDTV and man, colours look all wonderful and edges look better. I should really be using my 28" until I REALLY need a HDTV but because I bought a VGA cable, it would be a waste to not use it so I guess it's TFT for the time being....

Yeah i mean, i have a 19" tft and im sure it would look stunning on it, but tbh in the same way that Gameplay > Graphics, 32" Widescreen SD > 19" 4:3 HD. But then of course 32" HDTV > * (except a real dinosaur). However to keep the > key in use.... £920 in the bank + 32" gaming goodness > £0 and 32" HD goodness tbh

Permabanned
I cant justify spending £600+ on a HD TV by xmas 2006 they will be a lot cheaper and have better models out.

My 28" Samsung SD Widescreen TV is superb and I only paid £300 for it brand new 2 years ago.

Its like saying driving a ferrari is the best way to enjoy speed but not everybody can afford them.

Soldato
the one thing that killed me on SDTV was i couldnt see text easily
although my parents SDTV did improve it a lot, that was a 28inch Sony widescreen jobby, very high picture quality

it was all smoked by my HDTV thou :p

Permabanned
OP
da_mic_1530 said:
the one thing that killed me on SDTV was i couldnt see text easily
although my parents SDTV did improve it a lot, that was a 28inch Sony widescreen jobby, very high picture quality

it was all smoked by my HDTV thou :p
Text on RGB widescreen is clear as a bell m8, i mean utterly pinsharp unless very small, i geuss thats where HD helps. But i mean standard dashboard etc is superlative tbh

Caporegime
Ultra_Extreme said:
Why anyone needs a HDTV is truly beyond me, it just looks stunning, i can read all the text, all the colours are perfect. The wide aspect 16/9 is astonishing and amazing in movies (yes yes i have in fact been living in the dark ages) and i couldnt be happier!
Because it's far better in HDTV!

Permabanned
Nickg said:
26" HDTV here,, £480l, not exactly ferrari cost is it?

Still about double what you can get 28" widescreen CRTs for, which are inherently superior for displaying SDTV content and fast moving images - especially as £480 will be for a budget HDTV.

Permabanned
OP
Tesla said:
I imagine the difference between your old telly and this new widescreen is similar to the difference between your widescreen and a decent hd lcd.

Im not denying that, but in all seriousness, not THAT many people can afford a GOOD BIG HD LCD. I could just, and i know a few peeps on here can pretty easily (or at least bung it on a CC). But for the difference in price i just CANNOT see the justification. As someone here has said, it's a bit like saying a ferrari is awesome compared to a golf GTI. Of course it is, but for that increase in performance you pay almost 10x the price which on the whole isn't so worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom