Seen as it's not cheap to keep up

Soldato
I was just letting my mind wonder and started thing about daft stuff and ................

Do any of you guys go oh well to keep up with the best cpus and graphics cards is really expensive so find something you can keep up with easier. I was thinking is there people that go for being a storage uber masters. :D Harddives don't seem to keep improving as fast as other thing so it seems like a cool thing to go crazy with. :)

Do you know any storage nutters that have 1000s of Gbs of storage?

Associate
What the hell do you download?! I've had my PC for just over a year and a half now and I still have 26.8GB left on my 40GB HDD and 25.4GB left on my 80GB HDD.

I don't think I'll ever be able to fill up all of it. :confused:

Soldato
OP
Them WD Sata 16mb cache 500Gb harddrives look good value just under £190 I think they were last time I looked.

Siders77 said:
What the hell do you download?! I've had my PC for just over a year and a half now and I still have 26.8GB left on my 40GB HDD and 25.4GB left on my 80GB HDD.

I don't think I'll ever be able to fill up all of it. :confused:

If you like editing videos and so on I guess that can take up masses of space on a harddrive. I remeber when I used an analog TV card and I recored in uncompressed AVI I think it was and it was like 20Gb for a few mins of recording lol.

Now I record DVB TV in mpeg 2 it's a lot less storage hungery but if you record a full series of TV show you like again a lot of Harddrive space will be needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
WatchTower said:
Them WD Sata 16mb cache 500Gb harddrives look good value just under £190 I think they were last time I looked.

Aye, but I wouldnt be happy having 500GB of data on a single drive without backup.

@Siders77.. Films, mp3's, ISO's of all my CDs, loads of programs and games, college work, uni work, work work, graphics, photos etc... it all adds up.

Last edited:
Associate
It's not relevant because they are a photographer and need the disk space for storage, but I know someone with 3.5TB. Mostly made up of lacie external firewaire disks and a couple of 500GB internals.

Soldato
Great! Wanted to start a thread like this, but thought the politics would be too much – main issue being what people really store on their HDs to warrant the byte-size.

That said, I’ve got 240GB (160+80). Using about 60%, but that’s because I’ve backed up some of the 160GB on the 80GB. Offline/elsewhere I have about 470GB on DVD-Rs & RWs :cool:

Soldato
Currently have around 330GB storage on my machine. 230GB on my main drive and 100GB on my backup drive.

Planning to get a further 2 250GB drives. The 100GB drive is going [only PATA] and being replaced by the two 250GB. One will be used as additional storage and the other is replacement backup drive. Increased size to accomodate rest of the computers in the house. May also be buying a network drive so I can keep stuff like photos and music in one place everyone can access since at the moment my rig isnt always switched on.

So I could be looking at 1TB overall storage :D

SiriusB

Associate
I recently set up my home automation server (it runs windows xp atm). 3800+ x2, 2gbg ram, dfi ultra-d mobo, highpoint rocketraid 2320 (pci express), and 8 x Maxtor DiamondMax plus 400gb drives. All this sits in a Coolermaster stacker, with 2 hyper-R psu's.

I had to set up two raid 5 arrays using the highpoint, then as I wanted a single drive in windows, had to join them with a spanned dynamic drive. Total drive space is ~2.6TB. I am planning storing my 300ish dvd collection on there.

Richie.

Soldato
I have almost 550GB, made up of 4 HDDs, 2 x 74GB Raptors and 2 x 200 Seagate Barracudas SATA 7200.7.

2 x 74GB Raptors in RAID0, very good for the video editing I do and for running games on, 2 x 200GB Barracudas (used as separate HDDs) used for storage and backup. :)

Associate
I'm just like Siders, I really can't fill up this 80 gig, maybe it's because I'm aware of the limitations and so don't get whole TV series' etc.

kbc

kbc

Associate
With the hard drive prices pretty cheap nowadays... I have at the moment 700GB of storage capacity, did have 820GB but dumped my 120GB Maxtor on an older machine and sold it.

Currently have 2x 250GB SATA-II WD and 1x 200GB Seagate which is so damn loud... would like to replace it with another SATA drive and load Windows on it. :)

Associate
900GB here made up of one 320GB WD, 2x 250GB WD SATAII and an 80GB maxtor for system and programs..... No backup though :p so once its gone, its gone.. :D

Back
Top Bottom