PS3 to be £425 Official

Soldato
£425 sounds like quite a bit, and then you add on that you want a game to play and a controller, and maybe a blu-ray movie to see what this hi-def is all about

so theres £525+ and then.. you realise you dont have a hdtv.. and so you get a moderate one of those and your at £1K..

Soldato
£425 for the top spec not as bad as i thought but still expensive for me,does anyone know if the PS3 games are like the PSP ones(region free)?
if yes i might just get my cousin to get me one from Hong Kong.

Soldato
Bit unfiar to include a 2nd controller in the cost when this isnt a necessity

Maybe I am only one voice but £425 if this is the 60Gb version - reasoning above seems well founded - is not that bad when you consider the following

£210 - basic no frills X360
£100 - reasonable guess for 60Gb hdd if MS offered this option
£50+ Reasonable guess for MS upgrade to hd-dvd
£30 HDMI / DVI cable

Ok so thats around £390 but you get the idea ( and blu-ray would no doubt be more expensive to develop compared to hd-dvd)

Yes its expensive in comparison to previous consoles, but you are also getting more for your money in comparison also

Bring on pre-orders is what I say!!!

M0T

M0T

Soldato
FrankJH said:

Maybe I am only one voice but £425 if this is the 60Gb version - reasoning above seems well founded - is not that bad when you consider the following

£30 HDMI / DVI cable

But the problem is that Microsoft has given consumers the option of paying £210 for a console, £20 for a memory card and away you go. If you want a hard drive, hd-dvd, dvi cable then you can have one. Sony is forcing everyone to buy everything.

So if you were going to buy a 360 and all those accesories its not too bad a deal, but for joe public who just wants to play games and maybe watch a dvd its a bit ridiculous.

At that price point I can't see the ps3 doing well in anything other than the hardcore gamers market. People buy ps2's because they have loads of games and are pretty cheap so its fun after a night on the tiles with your mates, can't see the same people spending £425 to play fifa 2007 etc when the same game is available on 360 for nearly half the price.

Soldato
Livestrong said:
hardcore gamers will pay anything because they just love games

Not everyone in here is a 'hardcore' gamer though, so the complaints about price are fully justified.

If you take into what you are getting in the form of the Blu Ray player, I suppose its a good deal. The problem is that thats the only reason I can see why its expensive, so its a pain that you HAVE to pay that amount if you want one, regardless or wanting the player or not.

Associate
well everyone on this site seems like there skint? the way they complain, but when it comes to Ati or Nvidia gpu cards everyones flush to pay £400 for a single card which is out of date within a few months?????

Soldato
Livestrong said:
well everyone on this site seems like there skint? the way they complain, but when it comes to Ati or Nvidia gpu cards everyones flush to pay £400 for a single card which is out of date within a few months?????

i think you'll find a lot of people dont pay that sort of money for a card mate. If that's what you really think then your views on just how much money people are willing to spend are skewed to say the least.

Soldato
M0T said:
But the problem is that Microsoft has given consumers the option of paying £210 for a console, £20 for a memory card and away you go. If you want a hard drive, hd-dvd, dvi cable then you can have one. Sony is forcing everyone to buy everything.

Spot on.

With the 360 you can either have a console for gaming or the full package.

The PS3 is great if you want everything all in one (especially as the next-gen media drive is internal) though if you just want a PS3 for the games (which I did) it sucks having to pay for everything if you don't want it, which is why I won't be getting one unless they come down sharply in price in the future.

Associate
james.miller said:
i think you'll find a lot of people dont pay that sort of money for a card mate. If that's what you really think then your views on just how much money people are willing to spend are skewed to say the least.

best you go view the graphics card thread ;) gamers buying 2 sli cards to play what game no game needs that power, it's just they can buy two cards because there flush

Soldato
going to get myself one from Hong Kong or USA if there cheaper, good to know there region free as i can now import games like Naruto and Initial D (if they have it on PS3 later on of course) :)
£425 is still a little steep for me as im saving up for my first car aswel as a macbook :rolleyes: lol

M0T

M0T

Soldato
Phil99 said:
The PS3 is great if you want everything all in one (especially as the next-gen media drive is internal) though if you just want a PS3 for the games (which I did) it sucks having to pay for everything if you don't want it, which is why I won't be getting one unless they come down sharply in price in the future.

The problem with the ps3 for me is all this hdmi rubbish thats being forced upon us. So even though it may contain a high definition media player I won't be able to watch the films in high def because my tv only has component inputs. This is a problem for a large number of the HDTV owners in america as well.

So in a stroke half the point of the console is gone because it is no longer a cheap blu-ray player, might as well just stick with normal dvd.

I am however hoping that some clever chap from china will make a box that converts the hdmi into analogue component video. Can't see it being long before that happens once this stuff goes mass market.

Soldato
FrankJH said:

£30 HDMI / DVI cable

Ok so thats around £390 but you get the idea ( and blu-ray would no doubt be more expensive to develop compared to hd-dvd)

Yes its expensive in comparison to previous consoles, but you are also getting more for your money in comparison also

Bring on pre-orders is what I say!!!

I can see microsoft doing all of the above in a super premium package and still being well below sony price wise.

Back
Top Bottom