chipset fan

Soldato
hey

i have an asus a8n-sli deluxe, sometimes when i boot my chipset fan makes a crazy squeeling noise, after a few reboots and pokes it stops and other times it makes a grinding noise, but poking fixes it.

my question is can i replace the fan?

joker

xx

Soldato
Yeah most boards will allow you to take the fan and heatsink off. Not really an expert on chipset coolers but I have heard lots of good things about the EverCool VC-RE http://www.svc.com/vc-re.html

If its anything like a DFI board youll be able to take out the stock fan with minimal effort. Just make sure you are really careful. One slip with a tool and you could carve a trench through some important solders :p

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
oks i was gonna cntact asus but they want too much info and i cant be bothered to work out when i bought it an get all the numbers they want,

and the fan on it is crappy anyway i would like a quiet one, currently silencing my pc :)

can any1 recomend one as i cant seem to find any on ocuk

i dont want lights on it if possible

also whats the difference between northbridge and chipset? or are they same thing?

thx

joker
xx

Soldato
Yup, the Northbridge is the same as the chipset. I'd recommend the Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler (SY-007-ZA) Its passive, so makes no noise. Depending on the layour of your motherboard and if you have SLI, you might have to remove a couple of the heatsink fins, but its dead easy to do.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
the fan on my asus a8n-sli stopped working, i was gona take it out anyway, HS does the job fine without it :)

Suspended
Yup fitted one of those Zalmans, just check for clearences, probably need airflow over the Zalman on a Nforce board though (baking hot those chipsets)

htpcc.jpg

Soldato
OP
think i will get one then,

do i need access to the back of the board to fit it?

if so i will wait till i buy my antec p180 in 2 weeks time

i was thinkin that it mite overheat too cos it has no fan

Suspended
To take out existing NB/SB cooler probably will need mobo underside access, as you'll need to squash the expanding bolt either side and push out. I would only use the Zalman on a Nforce if you have direct air passing over the heatsink. Just relying on natural air convection isn't enough for Nforce 4, mates Nforce 4 passive gets alarmingly hot (mine is Nvidia but different chipset and heatsink is lukewarm) If possible find a replacement heatsink with a fan.

Soldato
OP
ok then i may be looking for one with a fan now :p

on ocuk there is only this

Vantec Iceberq CCB-A1C VGA & Chipset cooling kit (SY-000-VT)

it spins at 5000rpm tho and that sounds loud to me

i have a fan controller would i be able to slow it down and it still do a good job?

EDIT * also see Akasa Chipset Cooler with 4cm Blue LED Fan

Sound Level 23.03 dB(A)
Air Flow (Total) 5.2 CFM
Rotation Speed 5000 rpm

sounds loud but maybe could slow it down a lot with controller make it quiet

whats the max temp a chipset can go??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom