what mp3 player?

Soldato
I'm after an mp3 player with about 1gb of storage. What do ppl recomend? I'm not interested in all of this gimmicky ipod stuff where "it's not just a music player it's also a fashion accessory" rubbish.
This is mainly for use at work as we are having out admin rights to our pc's removed and the computers formated, so my music collection and non work files will dissappear.

Oc-UK shop has these:
Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB MP3 Player - Black (MP-034-CL)

Seems fairly simple and basic. What's the sound quality on these things like?
Suggestions/oppinions please.

Soldato
jumpy said:
Oc-UK shop has these:
Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB MP3 Player - Black (MP-034-CL)

Seems fairly simple and basic. What's the sound quality on these things like?
Suggestions/oppinions please.

I got one of these about 2 months ago, the features are nice, radio, mp3 recording function, and graphic equaliser, I'm not sure what the included headphones are like, as I had some nice Sony ones from my old CDwalkman, but the sound quality on those is great, the bass has a nice kick to it, and the treble doesn't lose definition, I don't notice any distortion, even at max volume! I would definitely recommend it.

Associate
I've got the 512Mb version of the Creative to use on the way to and from work and I think the audio quality is fantastic. Battery life is impressive too :)

You may want to consider one of these too. I borrowed one for a few days and these are also great.

yp-u1x_lg.jpg

Have a look here for more info.

Soldato
I bought the iaudio U2
Absolutely amazing :) I love it. Very light weight and I love the size.
In fact, I love it so much, that after carelessly loosing one, I bought another one because I just couldn't find anything better!

Sol

Sol

Associate
The iaudio u2 is not bad, bought my gf one for christmas last year. Only thing I didn't like about it was the navigation. I got myself a sony NW-A608 and that is reaaaalll nice alround.

Soldato
If you just want a cheap super simple flash mp3 player, you may want to consider the iPod Shuffle 1GB (I have the 512mb version). They have amazingly good sound quality that IMHO opinion is better than the larger ipods; they can power larger headphones and still produce, nice thumpy bass, with balanced mids and treble. In fact I think the my shuffle sounds better than my larger Cowon iAudio X5 player!

Unfortunately the included earbuds are junk, so invest in some nice headphones or IEMs (I use Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros).

Last edited:
Associate
jumpy said:
I'm not interested in all of this gimmicky ipod stuff where "it's not just a music player it's also a fashion accessory" rubbish.
So I guess you are into the "since iPods are considered a fashion accessory, then they must be rubbish" mindset eh? :p Pretty narrow view, as the above user stated, the Shuffle has a very good reputation even as a small portable player even amongs audiophiles in terms of SQ (but you do lose the screen). Still, if you insist, and don't mind paying helluvalot more for something that is not an iPod, then you can look into the Monolith flash players (as well as the previously mentioned U2).

Last edited:
Associate
What do people think of the new Mobiblu players? They look ace and seem to get good reviews? I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone who's bought one.

/[shameless hi-jack].

Soldato
OP
TooNice said:
So I guess you are into the "since iPods are considered a fashion accessory, then they must be rubbish" mindset eh? :p
naah, looks of the thing are not really a consideration when compared to sound quality and storage; and looks seemed a big selling point for the ipod from what I've seen - for me it's function over form, as it were ;)
I guess mp3 players have moved on somewhat with sound quality/capacity since I last saw one as that was my main want.

Thanks for the ideas guys, got the creative doodad eventually, does what I want, no fuss ;)

Back
Top Bottom