May be selling my car, but, what to replace it with?

Caporegime
Half seriously considering selling my BMW, circumstances have changed for me, I'm thinking of moving in with my girlfriend.

She's more than likely going to sell her car,and use mine , but, as my e38 728i Sport is insurance group 17, I've found putting her on its insurance to be £700 short of impossible! - A few points plus an accident due to "careless driving" makes my insurers cringe at the prospect of her on the insurance.

I'm open minded as to what to go for, certainly I'd have another BMW, but equally I'll consider most other things.

As for size, as long as it fits 4 in comfort, then thats not an issue either.

Petrol or diesel,I don't care. As for insurance, the lower the better due to her driving record! :p :D

Not in the running in any cases.

Any Vectras, Mondeo's (Soz Fox), 4x4's / off roaders, Mercs or Jags as I simply don't like them and the ones I do, would be out of my range.

Probably spend £1k plus whatever I get for the BMW, circa £5k in total with a bit of luck.... ('98 728i 109kMiles with FSH. in sig.)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are times hard financially? Becuase I would suggest that if you've only got an extra grand to spend you are maybe unlikely to get something better than what you've got now so perhaps it would make more sense to keep the 7 and pay the £700 extra on the insurance?

Better the devil you know, etc.

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Are times hard financially? Becuase I would suggest that if you've only got an extra grand to spend you are maybe unlikely to get something better than what you've got now so perhaps it would make more sense to keep the 7 and pay the £700 extra on the insurance?

Better the devil you know, etc.

I'll be hard pressed to better the 7, but, as I'll be sharing bills etc, forking out on the 7 and its high ish running costs is silly, not an issue when I was single, also, I currently don't use the e38 every day, in fact it spends most of the week parked at work as I'm away in the truck most nights.
The fact we'll be sharing the e38 if I keep it, means its used every day for short trips, which quickly adds to the consumption.
Currently, I drive to work in the early morning & return home late at night, great for fuel economy.

The e38 won't fit in my girlfriends driveway, which is itself another problem, its not the sort of area you'd want to leave it in the street, sadly.

I'm only thinking of spending £1k plus what I get for the 7 as thats whats spare.

I could easily spend the £700 extra to get her insured, but, she dos'nt like driving the e38 (finds it a bit big after her Fiesta) nor, do I like to be a passenger in it when she drives!

I'm thinking of another 3 series, but an e46 (probably the 318i, sorry again Fox!) as the insurance isn't an issue.

But, I'm waiting to be tempted, trouble is, I hav'nt a clue what'll really tempt me.

If I were single, I'd keep the e38 gladly, which makes choosing a replacement so much harder.

I've got a car I want, alas, its not now a realistic proposition now my situation has changed. :(

triggerthat said:
How much do you spend on petrol?

Why not get a golf TDI? (130bhp)
Some weeks £100+! :eek: so, that could be an option.... :)

Last edited:
Soldato
R124/LA420 said:
I'm thinking of another 3 series, but an e46 (probably the 318i, sorry again Fox!) as the insurance isn't an issue.

It doesn't always make much of a diference, in fact I know people that get cheaper insurance the bigger the 3 they get. I supose they appeal to a different kind of drive if they have a bigger lump.

Caporegime
OP
Looks like I'm saved, she (the Girlfriend) has decided to go and change her aged fiesta for, of all things, an Xantia TD Estate!

Not much reason for me to now change the car, as she won't be using it....

Good job, I had a look at a VW Golf whlst down in Berkshire this week, I liked it very much until I got back to Stoke & drove my e38 home.

As impractical as it probably is, I'm most likely going to keep it now (well, I did say I was only half seriously considering getting rid :o )

I can't wait to see what £700 worth of P reg Xantia looks or goes like! :confused: :p :D

Caporegime
OP
lordrobs said:
I thought the 7' wouldn't fit on the driveway though and you didn't want to leave it on the street?

I don't really want to leave it on the street, but, in the 6 months or so I've been staying overnight, & leaving it on the street, >> TOUCH WOOD << nothing has happened - yet!

Why do I just know I should'nt have said that? :o :rolleyes: :(

NB, the Xantia is quite a surprise, it drives VERY well, most things seem to work (Aircon & rear wiper excluded) and considfering its 125k miles, it feels surprisingly tight.

I hope for her sake it is as good as it seems.

FWIW, Was £700 a fair price? P reg Xantia 1.9TD Estate 125k, great bodywork, good tyres etc? Fox ? anybody?

Soldato
please lord make it a spot, a 4pot BMW is blashemy :(

get a 320 at LEAST

you can get higher mileage 2000/2001 for 6k and as a previous BMW owner I am sure you are not fearfull of that, as you say a well looked after one is as tight as a nuns front bottom (well you didn't exactly say that ;))

found via autotrader

clicky Doesn't sate mileage so assume ovar 100k but FBMWSH so not too much of an issue

Soldato
Steve said:
please lord make it a spot, a 4pot BMW is blashemy :(

get a 320 at LEAST

you can get higher mileage 2000/2001 for 6k and as a previous BMW owner I am sure you are not fearfull of that, as you say a well looked after one is as tight as a nuns front bottom (well you didn't exactly say that ;))

found via autotrader

clicky Doesn't sate mileage so assume ovar 100k but FBMWSH so not too much of an issue

oh that will teach me for not reading things properly :o ignore me

And now I show my lack of concentrations once again when I quote myself instead of editing my last post :o :(

Caporegime
OP
Steve said:
found via autotrader

100k 's no issue at all, my e38 is nearing 110k without issue, it has'nt needed an oil top-up in nearly 9k miles which I'm very happy with! :)
Well mate, I had decided to keep it, but, that e46 looks nice, same colour as my 7 too......

Sometimes, I hate Autotrader! :o :D

Soldato
R124/LA420 said:
100k 's no issue at all, my e38 is nearing 110k without issue, it has'nt needed an oil top-up in nearly 9k miles which I'm very happy with! :)
Well mate, I had decided to keep it, but, that e46 looks nice, same colour as my 7 too......

Sometimes, I hate Autotrader! :o :D

ah your just saying that to stop me feeling a total plank ;)

the 2000/2001 e46s are becoming bargins across the range *looks out window at 01 M3

Back
Top Bottom