zalman reserator 1 plus - suitability?

Suspended
<WC_NOOB>
ok, so i'm running (in a thermaltake tsunami) a socket 754 AMD 3000+ at near enough stock, and a 6800GT on a DFI lanparty utnf3 250GB with a gig of ram. it's being powered by a FSP sparkle 500W blue thing...

my first question is about portability. i take my PC round a friends house for a mini lan every few weeks, so is it movable?

my second is power, not exactly a worry but does it use a mains socket?

my third is expandability, would it be difficult to add some sort of a RAM cooler (if such a thing exists) and does it use 1 1/2" barbs (or whatever the standard is) not that i know what a barb is.

my second third is aesthetics. would it be possible to load this thing up with UV dye, and how often does the water additive need replacing?

so, if anybody has any answers to these, or any pictures of their setups running one of these, then they would be appreciated.
</WC_NOOB>
thankyou in advance - Dan

/edit i've found some relatively nice pics of this, and if i get one will take up Hyper's mod

//edit how about THIS

Last edited:
Associate
The reserator will be able to cope with the cpu and gfx card. If memory serves it uses the 3/8" tubing which is slightly smaller than the 1/2". The unit does plug into the mains to power the small pump at the bottom of the tower. There are clips and clamps to allow easier moving of the unit.

However if you move your pc every two weeks it really will be a pain in the butt! Each time you move it you will need to top it back up with water and in my case anti-freeze.

I have left the anti-freeze/water mix in the system for about 6 months without changing and there were no signs of algae buildup.

The reserator (the original not sure about the +) came with blue tubing so you couldn't see the water inside the pipes making the UV die kinda pointless.

edit:- just seen your link for hyper's mod. Yes the tubing mod inside is well known and does lower temps. I dumped the flow meter as it only slows down the water flow, if you need to check if the pump is on, touch the pipes and you will feel the water flowing

Last edited:
Suspended
OP
ok cool, thanks! draining the system is my biggest worry though, as that would get REALLY annoying, so would preferably like some way to seal the water in the reserator itself, i can't find any pictures to show if it has a cap of some sort...

Associate
There's a tiny air hole in the top of the cap (on the original version anyway).

And when you're moving it, the biggest pain would be dismantling all the tubing (from the outside at least) as well as draining it. But if you drive can't you just move the case with the help of a 2nd pair of hands to hold the reserator whilst you both move along in toe? (slightly more ghetto solution, but much less hassle :p )

Soldato
u can get very quiet fans and if u have say a PA 120.2 rad u should see better temps with only about 18 dbA. which ure psu would be producing way more noise than. panaflo M1's i have heard are ment to be rather good and quiet or normal 120mm fan volt modded to slow speed would work fine mate.

Soldato
well i am going to use 2x akasa 120mm silent fans and put them on a fan controller so they should be nice and quiet. if you use a fan controller then you can have them as quiet as you want.

this will provide better cooling than the zalman and also will be easier to move, will use less water so be lighter, and you can get whatever pump you want (i recommend the laing dcc 12v pro or ultra - just got one, very nice).

daven

Back
Top Bottom