What is it with shuttles? Just lost an sn45g

Soldato
Im really annoyed with shuttle, their products are crap imho
I fitted an xp2400 into an sn45gv3 and its been fine until today I noticed it wouldnt hold the bios settings, then slowly things started going awry with bsod's and page faults all over the shop

Dropped into the bios and noticed the settings were all wrong so I put them back to where they should be and poof... dead shuttle

Tried erverything, reseating the cpu, new bios battery, different psu, different ram, different gfx etc

Nothing I do will make it come back :( is it me or are these shuttles just plain bad?

Soldato
45G bios's are known to be flakey.

from the sounds of it thebis batterye was on its way out, hence always loosing its settings. but when you change settings such as FSB etc, it tends to make it not post or boot, untill you unplug the power, clear the cmos etc that usually worked for me in my 45G when i was overclocking etc

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I changed the cpu's over, put the first cpu I used back in which was a duron 1300 and tried to get it to post, what i dont get is this little light on the motherboard comes on green, the shuttle will start up but nothing will happen and the ice fan stays on constant

I might try one more cmos battery but I doubt this thing will come back to life :(

Associate
Had the same with an SK43G - out of warranty, new motherboard £100 plus!! Its now an expensive doorstop. Replaced with an Antec Aria which uses standard components.
MikeD

Soldato
i bought a second hand sb75 which quickly died on me, as i had originally only bought it for replacement case parts (cheaper than buying a whole chassis) i was a bit annoyed that the motherboard didn't last long when i wanted to use it as a backup machine. no idea what is wrong with it and i don't have the cash/time to fix it now :(

Soldato
OP
In the same boat as you guys :(

I bought the shuttle with a faulty board, then sourced a new board and thats quickly died. I will now focus on buying an aria and fitting an athlon64 like I should have from the start

In total I have blown:

Dead shuttle - £40
New board (Now dead) - £70
XP2400 - £25
Dvd writer - £27

Talk about peeved lol

Associate
I bought an SN45GV3 second hand for £120 which was my biggest mistake every with computers as it died 2 months after the setting up the thing.

Initially the bios was not saving the settings at all after cutting power to the mains so i replaced the battery and it eventually saved the settings. Following this i installed Windows and had cold boot problems with some of my RAM kits so i finally found a kit that worked with the system. I then had problems with speedfan SMBus scans which cut my FSB in half which i later solved with disabling SMBus scans. Following this i couldn't even run SuperPi32 because it generated an instant error with random jargon in an error message box so i couldnt even stability test the system properly. I was then a few weeks later greeted with more random BSOD's here and there which was getting worse over time. Following this the bios was playing up again and not saving the settings so i went to reflash the bios and then the system wouldnt POST at all. I took out the bios chip, put it back in again and started up the system. The label on the bios chip somehow came into contact with the bios chip and it's socket, melted, and a little fire started around that area of the motherboard.

Anyway im never buying a Shuttle 2nd hand again. Might be tempted to buy a brand new one but i'll probably try a Biostar for my next buy. ;)

Soldato
TBH, the SN45GV3 was one of the poorest shuttles ever, which is a shame cos the V1 and V2 were awesome!!

just the ram problems alone made it almost useless.

granted that the V1 had some minor sound issues i think (not much of a problem at all from what i know) and the V2 had the vdimm death issue, which was solved with the newer bioses that took the option to change the vdimm out, therefor eliminating the main cause of death.

My SN45GV2 lasted me a couple of years till i started to volt mod it lol. it managed to keep going for months after while i was busy overclocking etc, then it finally gave up in a similar way to you guys, except it didnt loose the bios settings. it just stopped posting or booting. only the fans would come on etc and the southbridge would get VERY hot (this was possibly cos i volt modded the northbridge as well as the ram)

my advice would be go for somethin a little cheaper such as an aria or a mATX board etc.

if you do still fancy a cheap socket A shuttle then definatly look for a V1 (gotta be lucky to find one of these as they didnt have the vdimm issue the V2 has) or V2 SN45G as they are decent shuttles

Associate
sorry to hear so many issues for you guys, I am on my 5th Shuttle now and other than the faffing around required to power up after overdoing the mem timing or cpu overclocking I have never had a bad one among the following

SB75Gv2 - on my 2nd one
SB95V2
SN25P
SN26P

Obviously it the board is completely dead with no fans spinning or mobo leds, its likely to be a gonner. But just in case, are you all aware of the correct way to fully dicharge the caps and boot up with default cpu speeds ?

remove psu cable, press power button, reconnect power cable, hold down inset key prior to pressing power button and hold it while booting

this will reset a lot of the bios settings and may give a little hope to an otherwise un-useable mobo

Soldato
yeah i used to do that to my V2 when id clocked it too far, and it seemed like it had given up. breathed life into the board for a good couple of months like that till it basically said "I cant take it anymore" and died lol. my own fault for volt modding i guess :(

Back
Top Bottom