Meet the Parents

Soldato
Well been going out with my girlfriend for just over a year and because she isn't from round here I have never met her parents.

Next Sunday we are due to travel down to Leeds, go out on the town and then stay at her parents house for the night. Then we are going to the races on the Monday with them and some friends and family.

Last night however she said her parents were coming up here tomorrow. They are taking her out to lunch and I am invited! I'd had a couple of pints so I said I would go.

But waking up this morning I though Hmmm why would they bother coming up here when we are spending next weekend with them. Her parents are both professionals not short of money and give the impression they have high standards. So now I'm paranoid that this is some sort of vetting to see what I'm like before I'm allowed down there!

Anyone else got any funny meet the parent stories or tips on how to get through a close encouter of the parent kind?

Permabanned
Chill and be yourself, dont worry about being nervous, they will be expecting you to be.

Just relax and I always find if your going out for food, then it is a good idea to offer to pay :) lets them know your not a free loader.

Soldato
Put yourself in their position.

If you had a daughter, what would be your requirements of a boyfriend for her?

If their daughter is happy, you treat her well and respect them, I don't think you have a problem.

If you get drunk at the races, steal from her dad's wallet and put it all on an outsider because you had a 'feeling', then better think again.

Soldato
As bluetonic said, they are going to be thinking, hmm, our baby girl has a boyfriend now, i know what his intentions are, the same as most other blokes, lets scare him off!!!

Only joking, i never had a problem meeting my other halfs parents, and i get on very well with them. Just as people have said, be yourself, and show them how much you two are happy together. Look after your girl, take her coat and pull her chair out for her. Offering to pay if you can afford to is a good idea, they will more than likely shout it if they are well off.

Good luck to you mate, i hope it goes well, find out what there interests are from your girlfriend, so you can discuss them at the table, you don't want those awkward silences. It also shows you have spoke about them before and have put some thought into this meet.

Haha i remember meeting my gf's dad, he made me drink shot after shot of whiskey and then grilled me with questions. I thought twice before every answer as i knew i was hammered, but tried not to show it.

Man of Honour
Slap her mum on the arse, wink and say "Oi,oi, Mrs P" (just use the first letter of her surname, anything works) and say "Lookin' good, Mr P" (same name rules apply) to her dad whilst high fiving him. :p

Otherwise you can just be yourself but with better manners. ;)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
As a father and a stepfather and a grandfather i can honestly say that all that matters is that you make the daughter happy.
Yes it really is as simple as that. :)

Soldato
OP
malc30 said:
As a father and a stepfather and a grandfather i can honestly say that all that matters is that you make the daughter happy.
Yes it really is as simple as that. :)

Should be ok then, we have never fallen out even once since we have been going out.

Associate
!bluetonic! said:
If you get drunk at the races, steal from her dad's wallet and put it all on an outsider because you had a 'feeling', then better think again.

LMAO! That sort of happend to me :) *hides in shame* :)

Back
Top Bottom