Help please

Associate
Since installing my AMD X2 3800 I keep getting a random problem. The monitor seems to loose signal from the computer when I am playing films etc.
I have tried running memtest, no problems there, and I have run 3dmark06 a couple of times and it has run fine. I am thinking my graphics card is on the way out. The temps on it are fine as it is watercooled (about 38-40degrees load). When playing films, I can still hear the sound from the speakers, but the monitor goes into standby.
If is it the graphics card, what can you recommend for about £250?
Thanks

Associate
OP
I don't think so, as it only happens when playing movies. I can listen to winamp all day long with no ill affects. And browse the internet fine. It does seem to do it most when watching TV through my Nebula digitv card, but it is not limited to that so I don't think that is the problem

Associate
it deffinately sounds like it only happens when your not touching your comp, try playin a movie but do other stuff at same time or sit there moving the mouse, coz if it only happens when your not touching your comp I would sugest having another look at your standby/power save options coz thats what it seem like to me

how long can you game for/does it do it all when you game? if you can game for hours on end then id say youv set something up wrong

is your gfx card seated properly? did you knock it while installing new cpu?

Associate
OP
Actually, now you mention it, it generally happens when I'm doing something else, like browsing the web at the same time as watching films/programmes. I made sure everything was seated correctly after I installed my CPU. I have also tried it with and without the AMD X2 driver and windows hotfix

Associate
The default setting for XP's BSOD is that it just resets itsself. If you've changed it, it will bring up the BSOD and won't do anything until you press the restart button.

It definatly sounds like some sort of power saving option or something.

Associate
OP
Right, I feel quite stupid for not trying this first, but I uninstalled the drivers, downloaded a new copy, and then re-installed, and everything seems fine, so far (touch wood). Cheers for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom