• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Old School Problem

Soldato
H'ok here's the deal:

2x 450Mhz/100/512 Pentium 3s
Compaq AP550 motherboard with VRM
512Mb RDRAM
Win98SE

When I boot up, both CPUs are recognised but in Windows only one is found. What do I need to do to get both working?

Soldato
Open up device manager, open up the "computer" section, it should say something like ACPI Uniprocessor PC (If it says multiprocessor pc, it has detected it). Do update driver, I will choose driver, and select ACPI multiprocessor pc. Windows 98 afaik doesn't support SMP though.

I'd go for Server 2003 or at the very least 2000 tbh.

Permabanned
Yeah, seeing as you're running windows 98 it cant be done afaik. Only NT based OS' like 2000 & X support multi processors for x86 and linux.

ive got 4 ap550s, one is a dual 667 with only 256mb rd ram that runs xp at reasonable speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Installing XP pro, it said something about hardware incompatibility, I ignored it and carried on but after the restart and it's preparing the installation, the screen blanks, gets a red patch on it and a few letters/numbers (randomly) then switches off.

Anyone know my problem?

Permabanned
monkeypants said:
Installing XP pro, it said something about hardware incompatibility, I ignored it and carried on but after the restart and it's preparing the installation, the screen blanks, gets a red patch on it and a few letters/numbers (randomly) then switches off.

Anyone know my problem?

Did the message mention what the incompatibility was at all? you sure the graphics card is supported by XP?

Soldato
OP
OK, now with Server 2003 it's turning off during the installation, I'll try again later when I've only got one PC running on the power socket. If it's not the power, what might it be?

Soldato
What motherboard is it? AP550 is the machine model or something, cause I'd try updating the bios.

and do this - "In the system BIOS, you must set the hard drive and system timeout to never. This option is located under power\timeouts."

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No idea about the exact model of the motherboard, but the time out thing worked.

Now, it's not recognising PS/2 devices so I can't boot it. :/

EDIT: It works with just the keyboard plugged in... :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom