Anyone ever withheld the final months rent?

Associate
We agreed once with out LL to do this and he was fine, 2nd one wanted us to pay the rent incase we trashed the house in the last month, and gave our deposit back after.

Call him, he may agree.

Caporegime
They take the deposit for a reason.

When I moved out of our last house the landlord had me scrubbing the bath and cleaning the windows and all sorts. Hard work? Sure. Fair play though - he's protecting his investment (his house) and wants to get it back in the condition it was in when we started there.

Associate
It would be an unwise landlord who would do that, I never let tenants do so.

I might need their deposit monies to repair damage or clean up their filthy **** they leave behind.

It's a security deposit for a reason.

You will be in breach of your tenancy agreement if you don't pay the rent.

Soldato
PaulStat said:
How would you put that to the LL though?
Hello sir, would it be allright if we kept the last months rent and you keep the deposit?
That way it saves us both a payment.

But I would be surprised if he would agree to this, the deposit is a security for him and if he agrees to this he might as well not bothered with a deposit in the first place.

Associate
Always had mine back, last landlord promised to come round on our moving out day and give us chqs for the deposit then. He didn't turn up but said post the keys into the letter box.

Upon me saying "well, I'll give you the keys when you give me the chqs, I'm leaveing in 1 hour" He amazeingly found 15mins in his busy life to pop round! :)

Soldato
OP
In theory though even if he doesn't allow it and we go ahead and do it anyway, by the time he's got all the paper work through to evict us we'd of moved out already anyway.

And yeah I don't particularly trust landlords when it comes to getting deposits back.

Suspended
depends on the landlord, we dont let our tenants do it as the deposit is there to pay for any damage the tenants may have caused, and is usually taken as most of the tenants seem to enjoy trashing the place and then leaving

Soldato
Dutch Guy said:
Was there a reason you did not get the deposit back?

What did the owner say when you asked him about the deposit?
1st one, we all got cheques but he stopped then as there was apparently loads of damage (that he knew about anyway and wouldn't repair :() I gave up on that one.

2nd one pulled out an inventory dated 2 years before we moved in and there were about a billion things we'd never even seen in the flat and tried to get us to pay a £100 repair bill for the £30 from Argos video player (that ate my mates squash video), £200 quid to rehang a door, £150 carpet cleaning (despite us having cleaned the carpets). I found the correspondance we had with him the other day, with annotations from me and my old flatmate. Hilarious. Drunken scrawlings about going down to Bath to sort him out.

3rd one, I had to move out at short notice to be with a pregnant mrs fatiain. Never saw that deposit either.

Permabanned
fatiain said:
1st one, we all got cheques but he stopped then as there was apparently loads of damage (that he knew about anyway and wouldn't repair :() I gave up on that one.

2nd one pulled out an inventory dated 2 years before we moved in and there were about a billion things we'd never even seen in the flat and tried to get us to pay a £100 repair bill for the £30 from Argos video player (that ate my mates squash video), £200 quid to rehang a door, £150 carpet cleaning (despite us having cleaned the carpets). I found the correspondance we had with him the other day, with annotations from me and my old flatmate. Hilarious. Drunken scrawlings about going down to Bath to sort him out.

3rd one, I had to move out at short notice to be with a pregnant mrs fatiain. Never saw that deposit either.

There is a thing about wear and tear over a period of time you dont need to pay for it, i never paid my last months rent what can they do, it takes time for them to kick you out.

Back
Top Bottom