Please Help an Overclocking Newbie...

Associate
ok please go easy, Ive read a few of the guides around on the web and Im still struggling to get even a mildly decent overclock on this system:

GA-K8NF-9
AMD 3200+
1GB PC3200

I know these components are not the best for overclocking, but I should be able to up the 2010mhz stock I get considerably shouldnt I?

Now when I enter the Tweaker section of my BIOS I have the follwing options:

HT Frequency Ratio [Auto, x1, x1.5, x2, x2.5 and so on up to x5]
CPU Frequency Ratio [200 up to 450]
K8 CPU Clock Ratio [Auto, x10, x9.5, x9, x8.5 all the way to x5]

DDR Clock / Timing Mode
CPU/DDR Ratio [2/2]
DDR Clock 400

vCore Voltage is 1.392 (stock)

OK, so first off I set the CPU/DDR Ratio to 2/1 that gives me DDR Clock speed of 200...

as read in a guide I lowered the CPU Clock Ratio to x9 from x10, and the HT Ratio from Auto to x2.

I then started upping the CPU Frequency Ratio from 200 to 205, then 210, and 215 all booted into windows fine.

However if I up the CPU Frequency any higher than 215 I cant even get into the BIOS let alone POST or windows.

So at this point am I right in thinking I should Up the voltage on the vCore? I upped from 1.4 to 1.425 and the PC still wouldnt let me into BIOS.

what am I doing wrong, sorry if its stupid questions but this is my first attempt at overclocking and I hate not being able to get the jist of things, but all the guides Ive read have different names for the settings compared to my board :(

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
mmmm

ok

put the HT to X3, no need for X2 yet

leave the cpu clock ratio as X10

im not too sure about your RAM ratio thing...download cpuz and see what speed the RAM is running at then ill get back to you :)

Associate
OP
well I just learned that if I press ctrl-f1 I can set the memory to 1T as opposed to default 2T would this help?

I just got a nice new Opty144 for a bargain price, with a good CAB1E stepping, and I'd like some form of good overclock on this mobo with it.

looking to replace the mobo fairly soon, but it would be great to get started now.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
i personally know nothing about that specific mobo so cant comment

yes you should be running @ 1T, what speed is it running at now?

Associate
OP
currently at 2T.

Will keep this thread open, but tonight Im wanging my new 144 into the PC and ditching the 3200+ so I'll see how it goes with the new chip, if I still have the same problems Im doing something wrong with the mobo - or it just isnt up to the job.

Back
Top Bottom