overclocking temps for opty 170

Soldato
Hi,

I will be overclocking my new opty 170 real soon, just wondering what voltages this chip can handle?

any advice would be most appreciated?

thanks in advance...

Soldato
OP
cpu is running at 37 deg

its weird but this system seems relaly slow....compared to my single core amd 3500

for example i am copying 3gig from my portable hdd to my hdd and its gonna take 54 mins lol

i have installed the amd dual core driver from the amd website....

am not really seeing much diff atm...

i got the mem timings of dfi street for my 2g ram.....and ran memtest for 10 hrs without any errors....

im running it at stock 2ghz....

any ideas?

Associate
What speed was your 3500 running at? Tha Opty will only be using 1 core to copy from your drives so if the 3500 was running faster than 2ghz the Opty will be slower. If you clock the Opty to the same speed as your 3500 it should take a similar time but you will have the advantage of using other software on the other core without any slowdowns.

Associate
The Opty is running at 2ghz which is 200mhz slower than the 3500's 2.2ghz (both stock speeds) however the Opty has 1mb of L2 cache per core compared to just 512kb on the 3500. At stock speed the extra cache should in theory just about make up for the 200mhz drop in speed. In theory then copying between hdd should take a similar time with the Opty as it would have done with your 3500 unless you had overclocked the 3500?

Associate
Mikey1280 said:
Does transferring files between hard drives actually stress the cpu much, I thoug ht the hard drives would be the limiting factor

^^ During what I call "normal windows use" :p I rarely stress my cpu at all. Harddrive should really be the limiting factor. But go ahead now, and overclock that No swearing! :D

Soldato
Its best to never let your opty go above 55c. Mine is at 1.392v & it'll get to 48c. Thats with an Artic Freezer 64 Pro, in an Akaasa Eclipse. All fans are on there slowest settings (I'd rather a quiet rig then an extra 200Mhz) :D

Associate
You can't really trust the sensors anyhow. If you have DFI, you might as well just add 10c :p . Hence why they included it in the newest bios :D

Soldato
sablabra said:
You can't really trust the sensors anyhow. If you have DFI, you might as well just add 10c :p . Hence why they included it in the newest bios :D
Next time I resit my heatsink I reeally must remermber to put an external temp sensor on the chip :p
I can't believe it is 10 degrees out though tbh...

Associate
PinkFloyd said:
Next time I resit my heatsink I reeally must remermber to put an external temp sensor on the chip :p
I can't believe it is 10 degrees out though tbh...

Well, I dual prime my x2 3800+ at 25c, so yes, 10c is pretty normal. But DO NOT put a probe BETWEEN the cooler and the cpu!

Soldato
OP
specs: opty 170, dfi nf4 sli dr, 2gig Gskill PC4000, zalman 9500led

im currently running at 2.5ghz primed it for 10 hrs and it was fine (yeap ran two prime test simultaneously)....ran memtest for 10hrs without any errors etc...

however when loaded cpu at below settings cpu temp is 50 deg and PWIM (what is this btw) was at 52deg and was in RED on smart guardian so this cant be safe?

that said my settings are as follows:

FSB - 250
LDT - x4
CPU/FSB Ratio - x10
Vcore - AUTO (what should I set this to) without frying the cpu
LDTv - 1.30 (can i increase this) all the above if yes to what?
CHPv - 1.6 (can i increase this)
vDIMM - 2.6 (can i increase this)

DRAM Frequency Set - 200 (DRAM/FSB:1:1) ( should I change the RAM divider- if yes to what?)
Command Per Clock (CPC) - Enable
CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 04 Bus Clocks
Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 08 Bus Clocks
Row precharge time (Trp) - 04 Bus Clocks
Row Cycle time (Trc) - 07 Bus Clocks
Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 14 Bus Clocks
Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 03 Bus Clocks
Write recovery time (Twr) - 02 Bus Clocks
Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks
Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks
Refresh Period (Tref) - 3120 Cycles
Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - 01
DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto
DQS Skew Value - 0
DRAM Drive Strength - Level 7
DRAM Data Drive Strength - Level 3
Max Async Latency - 8.0ns
DRAM Response Time - Normal
Read Preamble Time - 5.0ns
IdleCycle Limit - 256 Cycles
Dynamic Counter - Disable
R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x
Bypass Max - 07 x
32 Byte Granularity - Disable(4 Bursts)

help would be appreciated....

thanks in advance...

cheers!

Caporegime
xirokx said:
however when loaded cpu at below settings cpu temp is 50 deg and PWIM (what is this btw) was at 52deg and was in RED on smart guardian so this cant be safe?

The PWM temp is the temperature of the MOSFETS, the power regulation cicuitry, they're under the three silver heatsinks in a row on the right of your CPU socket, and that temp is nothing to worry about, they're capable of running over 100 degree iirc, but you want to really keep them under 60 to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom