Ahhh, My Dog's Dying!

Soldato
Update: RIP Lucky - 19th May 2006 - A Good Friend

Update Two: Unbelievable, this is just bloody stupid! :mad:

My dog's had cancer for a while now, and although we had a tumour cut off of her leg, it wasn't going anywhere.

We thought we had at least another month left with her, but my mum has decided to have her put down on Monday as the cancer has spread to her chest, all around her front-left leg and she has lots of lumps on her back and some on her sides. :(

I just went downstairs now and she is shivering. She isn't herself and she must be in lots of pain 'cause she keeps grunting. I just made her some of her favourite drink (Stawberry milkshake) and she enjoyed that. Then I put water in her bowl and she drank it all really really fast.

What can I do to make her feel more comfortable? I don't think we can do anything about it now, until Monday.

I just sat on the step with her outside and she was just leaning her body against me, then she went to bed. She's walking really slowly and it seems like she's totally lost and scared.

What else can be done for her?

Thanks,

Phil. :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Awww man that sucks:(, usually i dont get too worked up over this sort of thing but your poor dog must be in agony:(.

Other than what you have done mate, i dont think theres much you can do...just make sure you give her lots of cuddles and make sure she isnt suffering too much.

My thoughts are with you and your dog...poor thing:(

Soldato
Sorry to hear that mate. My uncles dog had to be put down aged 17 (human years) due to arthritis from the spine right down to his back legs. The poor bugger couldnt walk by the time he went to the vets. Still miss him 2 years down the line.

Not much you can do really other than try to keep her entertained and as comfortable as you can.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Best thing you can do for her until it's time for her to go is to be with her, keep her company and make sure her last weekend is filled with love and affection from those she loves.

Most of us know what it's like to lose a much loved pet and our thoughts are with you.

Stan :)

Soldato
i went through the same thing with my cat last year...

its terrible because you feel so helpless... all you can do is sit there with them.. comfort them and make them feel loved etc...

do the things you like doing together and make her last weekend a great one.

my hearts with you, its terrible when you lose a pet... i posted on here about Jet my cat as soon as she was put down... got loads of replies... it was a nice boost to morale

Associate
aww hun :( poor lucky, she looked like an awesome dog, but on monday she'll be able to be at peace. It must be horrible having to wait around for it though.
My thoughts are withyou and your family!
Its hard seeing an animal u care about in that situation but its part of life, and hopefully knowing shes not in anymore pain will relief u.
Hope youre alright xxxx

Soldato
Ah sorry mate.

Went through the same thing earlier this year with our 7 year old golden retreiver.

He had a lumps coming up all over his head, looked so painful that we had him put down. Still miss him.

Dogs are incredibly tough though, and I'm sure you just being with her is a great help.

Suspended
Our cat died on his own :( was ill for a couple of months, and the last morning walked off, didn't return. Was found dead under a caravan 100m away. :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

She's gone to bed at the moment. I think she try's to sleep through a lot of the pain and she doesn't seem to interested in doing much right now.

She's like a very good friend. Here she is, smiling;

lucky.jpg

Phil.

Associate
Really sorry to hear that, loosing a dog is a horrible experience, they become such a part of the family. Just try and make sure she is as comfortable as possible and spend as much time with her as possible.

Associate
I know it's probably the hardest thing to do when you're all set for Monday but there are a lot of 24 hour vets, maybe it's kindest to do it now.

I've had to use a 24 hour vet for a cat I found once that was suffering really badly after being hit by a car. Took him in the evening, it was the nicest thing to do.

Pet Medics are a nationwide chain I believe.

Soldato
I know how you feel dude :(, my dog of 9 yrs (jasper a springer cocker) is on his last legs due to cancer :(. He's my most honest friend and a massive part of my life. I think big hugs and treats go a long way, Jasper knows he's not well (I suppose the falling over and having doggy kemotherapy are a giveaway) and i recon a big overload of love and sympathy helps.

All you can do is spend time with her and take some pics and hug and things, treat her a bit and try to relieve the pain. But remember dude if she really is in great pain it's better for her to be put to rest (as horrible as that is). It's just really hard to accept :(. Beh, mans best friend tbh, no question.

Soldato
Been there, was just thinking about our dog when I was walking home today actually and felt really sad. :(

It wasn't too bad because I knew our dog was ill and it was for the best that we had her put down. There isn't an awful lot you can do, don't forget to look after your mum and the rest of the family.

Soldato
OP
Update:

She has started breathing heavily like she has been running. My sister's taking her the vets to be put down.

Just said my farewells to her.

Goodbye Lucky, I'll miss you! :(

Phil.

Back
Top Bottom