• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX 7800GT Extreme Edition

Associate
Hey guys, I am after a wee bit of help :)

I have just installed my XFX 7800GT Extreme Edition and when I was installing it I noticed that the PCI-E Power splitter cable that came with it has ports for TWO 5-pin molex connectors, now my PC being a Dell Optiplex dosent actually have that many molex connectors (only one spare) will it be safe to run it from one molex connector if I am not overclocking? The only other thing that is on that line is a DVD-RW Drive, my HDD's are seperate.

Cheers,

Craig

Associate
Yeah, you are supposed to use a seperate line for each connector (as Sweetloaf says) otherwise you could be drawing more current through the cable than it is rated for.

If your PSU is powerful enough though (I've just checked the 7800GT spec and it recommends 350W minimum), you could invest in a standard 4-way Molex splitter and run your hard drives from that, thus freeing some more connectors. Akasa "Y" Power Splitter (CB-006-GE) third from bottom.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replys guys,

I have it powered on at the moment with just one plugged in, ran 3dmark and it seemed stable. The problem is with it being an Optiplex its BTX so I cant really find a replacement PSU. It only has 2x SATA connectors, 2x 5-pin connectors, 1x Floppy connector, 1x 4pin 12-volt connector and the big 24-pin motherboard connector. I suppose I could get a Y-Splitter to power the other connector from the graphics card, but it would obviously be off the same rail. What would you do?

Craig

Associate
OP
I have a 2yr old Tagan 480W PSU upstairs, with the old style 20-pin motherboard connector - I could always get a 20 to 24pin convertor and get a new motherboard and case, anything you could suggest for a cheapish, good motherboard? I will go on the hunt for a case now...!

Edit: Would I be able to use my old Tagan ATX (think its 1.0) PSU with a convertor for a new P4 motherboard? If so, what convertor would I need? Still a 20 to 24pin?

Last edited:
Soldato
Cr4iG said:
Would I be able to use my old Tagan ATX (think its 1.0) PSU with a convertor for a new P4 motherboard?

You should be fine, The whole ATX 1/2 thing is not really to do with major design changes, it is more a set of standards that new PSUs must be manufactured to. I have the Same PSU (2yr old Tagan 480W) and although it doesn't state ATX 2.0 compliance it comforms with all the regulatory requirements. I'm not sure about Pentiums I know I continued to use my Tagan when I went from Socket A to 939 without issues.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help :)

Last question from me then, would I damage my graphics card by running it with just one power connector installed over the weekend with some light BF2age (I ran 3dmark05 fine by the way) until Tuesday when I get a new motherboard etc?

Thanks,

Craig

Soldato
Cr4iG said:
Thanks for all the help :)

Last question from me then, would I damage my graphics card by running it with just one power connector installed over the weekend with some light BF2age (I ran 3dmark05 fine by the way) until Tuesday when I get a new motherboard etc?

Thanks,

Craig
I doubt it, just be prepared for a few lockups :)

Oh, and if I'm wrong..I'm not paying for a replacement :D

Back
Top Bottom