cannot logon, immediate logoff

Associate
i am running xp sp1 and can boot fine to the logon screen. i can logon sucessfully to the network and the local machine but as soon as the desktop appears the 'loading settings' changes to 'logging off' and goes back to the 'hit ctr alt del to logon' screen. same thing happens if i try to logon again.

same thing happens in all forms of safe mode.

have run chkdsk and is fine, can also browse the disk when running ram os.

any ideas on how to solve this?

Associate
OP
have tried multiple accounts including the local admin, so its not the logon script.

the same thing happens in safe mode.

could i just delete the page file?

Permabanned
I had the exact same problem with a machine not so long ago.

What you need to do is get remote access to the registry.

If you have the machine on a network then your laughing, simply open RegEdit on a working machine then connect to the registry of the broken machine.

If it isnt on a network, then I got round it by putting the broken hard drive in as a slave in another pc then using regedt32 to edit it's registry.

The line you need to change is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon

the value should be: C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

nothing else not %system32% or anything.

The thing to note is that this is normally the symptom of a virus infection, you should get some scans done, using some free online scans such as Panda, Trend and Kaspersky.

Soldato
The_KiD said:
I had the exact same problem with a machine not so long ago.

What you need to do is get remote access to the registry.

If you have the machine on a network then your laughing, simply open RegEdit on a working machine then connect to the registry of the broken machine.

If it isnt on a network, then I got round it by putting the broken hard drive in as a slave in another pc then using regedt32 to edit it's registry.

The line you need to change is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon

the value should be: C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

nothing else not %system32% or anything.

The thing to note is that this is normally the symptom of a virus infection, you should get some scans done, using some free online scans such as Panda, Trend and Kaspersky.

haha duh ~ thats the one, I had two userinit and userint(which was virus) and I got rid of both. My bad

Back
Top Bottom