Porcupine Tree

Associate
If you're new to them and want an album to develop further into their stuff, I recommend getting 'In Absentia'. Great album. Similar albums in terms of their more 'songwriter' style are 'Lightbulb Sun' and 'Stupid Dream'.

After that you might want to move into their more experimental side....albums like Up the Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify...s'all good stuff.

Awesome band.

-C

Soldato
OP
In Absentia is absolutely incredible. The first track blew me away completely. Muse should take note of these guys!

God only knows how they make songs so heavy, energetic and relaxing at the same time. Almost musical perfection?

Soldato
Tommy B said:
Almost musical perfection?
I wouldn't go that far to be honest. I heard a lot of people raving about them on here so thought I'd check them out, and to be honest they reminded me of Savage Garden a bit so I got rid.

Soldato
Deadwing is probably my favourite PT album, but In Absentia, Signify & Lightbulb Sun are up there too.

Have a look for XM, XMII and Warszawa. XM & XMII were recorded at XM in Washington and may be hard to find, XM especially but they're well worth having.

Another of my favourite albums, Stupid Dream will be reissued in the next few days and I'm really looking forward to getting hold of a DVD-A copy of it.

Have a look over at www.burningshed.com at the official PT store.

If you fancy listening to some more Steven Wilson, check out No-Man & Blackfield, the easier to get into of his side projects, then also have a look at Bass Communion & I.E.M.

Soldato
I loooveeee Porcupine Tree :D :D

I've got Deadwing, On The Sunday of Life and Signify

Deadwing is a great commercial album, every track is very listenable. The latter 2 however are much more progressive and experimental.

I think In Absentia is my favourite album though, Blackest Eyes and Trains are awesome, i'm definately getting that album at some point.

EDIT:

Tommy get the special edition of Signify, it's 2 discs and it's all very experimental :) Waiting Part One and Two are 2 of my favourites on there.

Soldato
OP
Andelusion said:
I loooveeee Porcupine Tree :D :D

I've got Deadwing, On The Sunday of Life and Signify

Deadwing is a great commercial album, every track is very listenable. The latter 2 however are much more progressive and experimental.

I think In Absentia is my favourite album though, Blackest Eyes and Trains are awesome, i'm definately getting that album at some point.

EDIT:

Tommy get the special edition of Signify, it's 2 discs and it's all very experimental :) Waiting Part One and Two are 2 of my favourites on there.

Ordered. Cheers :D

I think they are awesome. I can't believe I hadn't heard of them before!

Soldato
Voyage 34 and Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape are just plain odd but still good albums.

YHD may be hard to find, it came as a very limited run on CD then 150 on black vinyl, 1000 on yellow vinyl and 1000 on green vinyl - the green was released last year and the band have said that it'll never be released again.

If you find a copy, get hold of Transmission IV which has the 40 minute unedited version of Moonloop - fantastic stuff, but the CD is very rare. It was recently reissued on white vinyl (limited to 1000 copies) but the CD is a much better way of listening to the track because on the vinyl the track is split over both sides of the LP.

Soldato
Deadwing would have been really good had it not been the random thrashing guitaring which appears in "arriving somewhere but not here". The section doesn't go with the song one bit, and brings it down imo.

Soldato
Triad2000 said:
Deadwing would have been really good had it not been the random thrashing guitaring which appears in "arriving somewhere but not here". The section doesn't go with the song one bit, and brings it down imo.

Personally I think that bit makes the track, especially having heard it played live a few times. Steven Wilson is a fan of chucking contrasts into tracks and for the most part I think he pulls them off well - this being one of them.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Burbleflop said:
I was about to say that! BTW, PRR are playing a gig on the 9th June in Hertford. I'm looking forward to it!
awesome! i've seen them twice now. i guess that'll be from their post-US tour. what studio stuff of theirs have you got?

Back
Top Bottom