Grrr shortcode txt companies

Associate
Just got off the phone to orange after fuming my frustration about receiving unsolicited text messages from 84184 at £1.28 a shot..

I received four of them this month every Sunday at about 18:00, i did think when i got them if ive been charged so i scanned my bill that arrived this morning.

It'd been ok if i actually set and authorised the damn things but i didn’t.. They just started sending me them (joke texts) out of the blue.

Orange weren’t too helpful either to begin with :mad: they gave me the run about telling me i should contact them to uphold any charges and refund me. Told me the company was called psychic minds and id have to contact there operator Hy Byte.. they gave me there number (in London) which i phoned and got no answer...

What utter ******* orange charged me for em so i wanted them to refund them eventually they 'should' be refunding £10 next month (£4 more than expected), thanks to a few persuading words from me dad :D

I cant see how these people get away with it, its stealing. These companies should be outlawed and banned. Dunno how they got hold of my number :confused: are there any databases for mobile numbers that black lists them from marketing companies etc?

I put in a complaint to the ICSTIS doubt much will happen.

Anyways enough of my rant, anyone had any similar problems? Any ideas where else i should complain?

Man of Honour
The company and the regulator that control these activites are the people to complain to. The network is not responsible for anything (hence the independant regulation) and indeed can't interfere in (what it understands to be) a contract between yourself and a third party.

As such you did well to get anything out of any mobile operator over this issue.

These companies do have to abide by the code of practice set out by ICSTIS, if they are breaching them then ICSTIS will take action over the problems.

As for how they got your number, the most common ways are someone else sending a text from your phone (eg your mate in the pub or similar), or someone putting your number in on the companies website either deliberately or by mistake (a typo)

Associate
Dolph said:
or someone putting your number in on the companies website either deliberately or by mistake (a typo)

surely for this one, they'd have to send a confirmation txt, which would have to be replied too - to confirm identity and ownership etc ???

Man of Honour
spirit said:
surely for this one, they'd have to send a confirmation txt, which would have to be replied too - to confirm identity and ownership etc ???

I believe so, but again, this is entirely between the companies and the regulator, nothing to do with the mobile network. If a 3rd party company isn't abiding by the regulators rules (or someone believes they aren't) that's for the regulator to investigate.

Associate
Dolph said:
The company and the regulator that control these activites are the people to complain to. The network is not responsible for anything (hence the independant regulation) and indeed can't interfere in (what it understands to be) a contract between yourself and a third party.

As such you did well to get anything out of any mobile operator over this issue.

These companies do have to abide by the code of practice set out by ICSTIS, if they are breaching them then ICSTIS will take action over the problems.

As for how they got your number, the most common ways are someone else sending a text from your phone (eg your mate in the pub or similar), or someone putting your number in on the companies website either deliberately or by mistake (a typo)
IMO the whole system is fundamentally flawed, despite the recent regulation changes (where operators now can pay the text provider 30 days in arrears rather than immediately thus hopefully preventing some of the dodgy outfits out to make a quick buck before ICSTIS catching them).
Whilst it is not necessarily Orange's responsibilty to issue a refund, they have a duty to protect their customers and doing a good impression of an osterich and sticking their head in the sand helps nobody. Personally I think the regulator should insist that mobile service providers take a share of the responsibilty for premium text services.
It would be much simpler if there was some sort of confirmation system required by your service provider (rather than as things stand the text provider), in addition to the ability to get your service provider to instantly cancel (and maybe even block) any premium text arrangements at any time (rather than insisting you contact a company - the sort of which are intentionally difficult to get hold of).

Associate
Count yourself lucky. I work in the high value call centre for vodafone and recieve about 10 phone calls every single day from customers like yourself about this exact same problem. The customers i deal with usually have charges between £100-£200 a month from these text companies. Although today i had a customer whose latest bill contained £2400 worth of charges for unsolicited text in the past month alone.

Associate
OP
Originally Posted by djcj
Count yourself lucky. I work in the high value call centre for vodafone and recieve about 10 phone calls every single day from customers like yourself about this exact same problem. The customers i deal with usually have charges between £100-£200 a month from these text companies. Although today i had a customer whose latest bill contained £2400 worth of charges for unsolicited text in the past month alone.

That’s blooding shocking :eek: , must have had a constant bombardment of text to accrue that amount. I doubt if it wasn’t for the intervention of my dad, that i would have got a refund at all.
I do believe that operators should do something as well to stop these type of activities. It felt like they were passing the book and turning a blind eye. Though I don’t believe there fully to blame they could be doing something.

Originally Posted by spirit

Thats exactly what i thought happened, or that they put the actual charge at the bottom of the text.

Is it possible to get a ban on premium rate/text numbers

Associate
OP
Originally Posted by Dolph
someone putting your number in on the companies website either deliberately or by mistake (a typo)

Surly cant be that simple to sign someone up :confused: and technically debit there account.. thats just bad practice

Back
Top Bottom