My Dad's 60th

Soldato
It was my Dad's 60th in March.

He's really into planes, and flys his own, so as a treat I wanted to do something "planey".

My first plan fell on it's face. To get a flight in the Spitfire at Duxford costs £4,000 and there is a 3-4 year waiting list!

So Plan 2 was implemented.

I bought 3 VIP tickets to The AirSpace Airshow at Duxford on Sunday.

I also arranged for my brother to fly over from Holland, and booked a fancy Cambridge hotel for the 3 of us.

So tomorrow morning, my dad is driving 2 hours to mine. We'll head up the M11 to Stanstead and pick my brother up at 10am.

From Stanstead we'll head 40 mins or so to Cambridge for our boys weekend!

My crystal ball says lots of beer and some big loud aeroplanes on Sunday.

I just spoke to my Dad. He's been packed since 9am this morning! My mum's had to go out shopping because she said he was doing her head in! He's like a kid.

The VIP tickets at the airshow let you go up and touch the participating planes. You might even get in some of them. I also got on quite well with the organisers and he's arranging for us to meet some of the pilots. My Dad will love that!

Not a bad pressie hey? :)

Permabanned
i am joking, but i just found out what a spitfire is, some WW2 airplane?

Spitfire-Aus.jpg

JRS

JRS

Soldato
ballistic said:

You just found out what a Spitfire is?

Just?

Never mind that fact that you probably ought to have heard about them long before now at school....I knew what a Spitfire was at age 3.....

Zip

Zip

Soldato
ballistic said:

Its not just "some WW2 plane"
Its the plane that saved your arse in WW2.
If the brittish didnt have or use as many as they did then you would all now be germans.
The might be old now but they are one of the greatest if the THE greatest plane ever built IMO :cool:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Zip said:
Its not just "some WW2 plane"
Its the plane that saved your arse in WW2.
If the brittish didnt have or use as many as they did then you would all now be germans.
The might be old now but they are one of the greatest if the THE greatest plane ever built IMO :cool:

Strictly speaking, I believe the Hurricane shot more enemy planes down in the war. And the Tempest was more advanced - in fact, probably the most advanced Allied piston-engined plane of the war.

The Spitfire is great though :)

Zip

Zip

Soldato
JRS said:
Strictly speaking, I believe the Hurricane shot more enemy planes down in the war. And the Tempest was more advanced - in fact, probably the most advanced Allied piston-engined plane of the war.

The Spitfire is great though :)

Indeed.
But there would have been far less amount of planes in the sky.

That plane he is shoing in the picture looks like it might from the Australian forces from back then.
Also that landscape looks very Australian :)

Back
Top Bottom