AOL Users in 'ere please.

Caporegime
Hi all,

Any AOL users here as im thinking of migrating over to them from Tiscali, (was gona try Eclipse, but seen as they are throttling now, and i can't anyway as they say for Tiscali id have to cancel that, and go through the whole sign up with them thing, as they can't migrate Tiscali, so id be without internet for years) whats your thoughts, how do you find them, any trouble with p2p, that sort of thing, as they are about the only true Unlimited service out there.

Thanks. :)

Associate
I didnt get on with them at all, it was a very painful year dealing with there customer support, The unlimited service is there best selling point, pings are not too bad but are not too great also.

The bottom line is mate, there a not too bad company to use when everythings going well, but if you run into problems I wish you good luck getting them to sort it out.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks.

Im not to bothered about pings as i don't game online now, i suppose anyones better than Tiscali, ive compared them with Eclipse and Tiscali, and they don't look to bad, not that far behind Eclipse, but they leave Tiscali for dead, as will probably everyone on there. :D

Keep em coming. :)

Associate
I've been with AOL for nearly 12 months now, never had a problem with the service.unlimited downloads good for p2p and also get good pings when gaming online.
I can't say anything about customer service because i've never had a reason to contact them since the service was installed.
My only fault would be that its a bit more expensive than a lot of other IP's,but i suppose thats the price you have to pay for not being capped.

Soldato
My mates with them and didnt have any bother until he put a wireless router in, now he line drops every 2 mins and he cant access Steam, MSN or any other program, but i think its how he has the router set up as they are a bit n00bish and AOL needs a bit mroe tweaking than your average connection for a router.

Other than that they are spotless. His download speeds are about 230-235KBs and P2P etc isnt blocked or trafficed at all IIRC and his gaming pings are slightly above mine, but still in the region on 30-40 on CSS so still good.

Caporegime
LoadsaMoney said:
i can't anyway as they say for Tiscali id have to cancel that, and go through the whole sign up with them thing, as they can't migrate Tiscali, so id be without internet for years

Rubbish. If you can migrate to AOL, you can migrate to the vast majority of BTw ADSL ISPs, including Eclipse.

Associate
I used to be with AOL for a few years, in fact they were the only ISP I had ever been with but I would not recommend them personally.

Also their customer support is dire but I will say that I found their connection to be reliable.

I haven't used P2P for over 3 years now but I never had a problem with it when I did use it either with bandwidth throttling or dropped connections.

Caporegime
OP
tolien said:
Rubbish. If you can migrate to AOL, you can migrate to the vast majority of BTw ADSL ISPs, including Eclipse.

Not according to the Eclipse website, about migration it says if your on Bulldog, Tiscali and a few others you can't migrate, you have to phone them up and cancel, then order Eclipse when the line is released, and what with the stories about ppl waiting for years for Tiscali to release their lines, and now with Eclipse throttling etc... im gona give em a miss.

Last edited:
Caporegime
LoadsaMoney said:
Not according to the Eclipse website, about migration it says if your on Bulldog, Tiscali and a few others you can't migrate, you have to phone them up and cancel, then order Eclipse when the line is released, and what with the stories about ppl waiting for years for Tiscali to release their lines, and now with Eclipse throttling etc... im gona give em a miss.

It's out of date then. If you couldn't migrate to Eclipse, you wouldn't be able to migrate to AOL either...

Caporegime
OP
Just tried yet again, GRAW demo by torrent to test, 5k or less, and an upload of 0.0k to 0.5k, yet i can browse lightning, and download from websites at over 100k, as when me torrent didn't work i set the 6.4's again to test, averaged 115k, speed checker says you can download at about 120k, can i **** you lying ********, the sooner i switch the better, you can't deny your throttling/shaping etc... anymore just tell the truth. :mad:

Oops should have been in me other thread, never mind. :p

Soldato
It depends, Bulldog uses LLU (Local loop unbundling), and that makes migration a nightmare, as they have to 'rebundle' your line back onto the bt exchange. Tiscali have some unbundled connections, and some that are provided through the normal BT IPStream network.

If your on LLU, I dont think there is a quick and easy way to migrate, if your on IPStream then you should be able to get a MAC code, in which case you can migrate to anyone.

Soldato
CurlyWhirly said:
p.s. I also forgot to mention that if you are hoping to get on to Max DSL, you may have a long wait with AOL which is the main reason why I migrated away.

Same here, they told me my line wasn't ADSL Max capable yet and that it wouldn't be for a fair few months - 2 weeks later I switched over to Nildram ADSL Max and so far, love it!

Associate
i would avoid aol at all costs i have been with them for 4 years, best job i ever did getting away. hopeless customer service, unlimited is best point however.
ping was awful especially on a sunday night online games unplayable. :(

Caporegime
OP
tolien said:
Was just a pointer, if you were considering AOL since they were "the only option".

Yeah thanks. :)

Incidentally, now when i migrate, i wont be able to use my old e-mail address etc..., so what would i do about my registration on here, would i have to re-join and start again from scratch, or can i transfer the e-mail address to my new one which i would get, never migrated before so im clueless. :confused:

Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom