Price comparison websites [rant]

Soldato
Does the number of useless price comparison websites annoy anyone else here?

If you are searching for something on Google, say a model numer of a component or just a part for something in particular and you have to wade through LOADS of utterly useless price comparison websites - most of which don't even have the item you want on the page!

I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if they actually linked to items you searched for instead of guessing randomly.

Take a 'for instance'. I earlier searched for some model numbers of amplifiers that we on eBay and I was trying to find some reviews/specs, so I typed the make and model number in, followed by a variety of keywords and got nothing but price comparison sites - every time - with absolutely nothing of relavence on them at all.

I know they've always been around, but I've only recently noticed an increase in the number of them and their increasing appearance in search results and they annoy the hell out of me :mad:

Is there anything that can be done to destroy them/stop them cropping up as much? (besides the obvious killing with fire and ovary punching, obviously they are taken for granted)

</rant>

Mic

Mic

Soldato
I god damn HATE that. EVERYTHING on google is kelkoo.com or some other crap.
Its seriously annoying. So much so when people say 'google is your best friend :rolleyes: ' i just want to punch them. Cause googles just full of crap now.

Soldato
OP
Glad someone agrees! I mean, seriously, what purpose do these sites serve other than annoying the hell out of people who are searching on Google?! I for one have never found them to be of any use at all.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Six6siX said:
Glad someone agrees! I mean, seriously, what purpose do these sites serve other than annoying the hell out of people who are searching on Google?! I for one have never found them to be of any use at all.
Me either.

Soldato
OP
But its not just kelkoo, there are loads of them. Just type in "Price Comparison" to Google and see. You cant put -kelkoo -pricerunner -dooyoo -dealtime -shopgenie -planetprices - etc etc etc at the end of every search :D

Soldato
Six6siX said:
It doesn't matter if they help people or not; these sites make money and they're not breaking any laws in doing so. I hate them as much as the next guy, but the internet - as much as I'd like it to be - isn't just about being ethical and helping people out.

If you are using Firefox, I highly recommend the CustomizeGoogle extension. This allows you to filter out entire sites from your search results. Otherwise, I find using a query such as "product name -buy -price -cheap" helps out sometimes :)

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Al Vallario said:
If you are using Firefox, I highly recommend the CustomizeGoogle extension. This allows you to filter out entire sites from your search results. Otherwise, I find using a query such as "product name -buy -price -cheap" helps out sometimes :)
Most excellent:D Yeeeeeeeeeees!

Soldato
OP
Wow, thanks for the link Al Vallario. Looks good so far! :) I shall test it out further.

You may have just solved all my problems...well not all...but that one at least :D

Back
Top Bottom