Windows XP 64-bit

Associate
Building a new machine in August. I'm gonna need to sort out some kind of second machine in the summer, figured I'd take the opportunity to treat myself, plus my current machine is getting on a bit.
Just some issues -

It'll likely be an AM2-based AthlonX2 CPU. With that in mind, I was going to look at XP 64-bit.
Is there any actual disadvantage, or problems that come with using 64-bit Windows?

Soldato
If all your hardware is new then you shouldn't have any problems with drivers. Also most applications run fine on x64 to my knowledge.

However, there is very little benefit in the majority of cases in using x64 so my advice would be not to bother and wait for Vista if you want 64bit OS

SiriusB

Associate
OP
I'm not too worried about the price, but I'm concerned because I'm told performance can be inferior for many 32-bit applications, and compatibility issues. If that's the case, I'll stick to XP Home.

Soldato
Someone, whoever they were, said it best with "If you need to ask about using x64 then you probably don't need it".

Pretty much how I feel on the subject lol.

SiriusB

Soldato
SiriusB said:
Someone, whoever they were, said it best with "If you need to ask about using x64 then you probably don't need it".

Pretty much how I feel on the subject lol.

SiriusB

That was me.

Its looking more and more, that WinXP64 will be another landmark similar to Windows ME.

In a lot of ways, it seems to be a flop, and yet a success story too.

A Flop in that its too close to the release of Vista, and a success in that its compatibility is so good... I feel that a lot of people who say that its incompatible, or slower / faster are quite probably the ones who have not actually used it.

I know that I tried the free download trial version, threw it onto my MSI Neo2 & Winchester 3200 ( Only 64Bit PC I had at the time ) and I found that although I was unable to install the drivers fully as I could not get the modem running to go ontothe net to search, what I did find, it was lightning quickcompared to XP32 and yet now that I have bought the full jobbie, its no quicker than 32Bit at all on any of my current 64Bit PCs.

I have tried it on 6 different PCs now and I have yet to actually get far enough into it to warrant wasting the license on any given PC and so its still not being fully used, so, in many ways it has been a waste of mony for me.

Compatibility-wise its been great... The few apps that do have issues, are anythign that runs on startup, such as PageDeFrag, but also Partition Magic has been weird in that it works 100% fine, but if it needs to shut the PC down to do other tasks, these tasks wont work, and other than that, its been flawless for 100% of my games.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the first hand feedback FatRakoon :)

Been contemplating this all night, and figured that by time proper 64-bit apps are around, so will Vista, so I may as well stick to XP.

Next Q though! I remember reading XP Home only supports 1 CPU, whereas Pro supports multiple. How does this affect the X2? I know 2 cores are not the same as 2 individual CPU's, but is XP Home perfectly fine for an X2, utilising both cores properly?

Soldato
Yes, XP Home can indeed use 2 cores just fine.

I dont have XP Home on the X2, I have Pro on that, but do you want me to install XP Home onto a HD on it foe you to fins out before you waste your installation?

I have plenty of spare Drives, and it will only take half an hour or so, so I will do it anyway just to be 100% sure and get back to you ok?

Soldato
Ok, good news for you...

It does work, and it does find both cores just fine.

Not done any real testing as such, I have just got the desktop up, not activated it of course, but if you need me to do any particular tests, then let me know before I kill it off yeah?

I ghosted the original partition, so its not like its a real big deal, so let me know ASAP about anything and if I have the software, I will try it out for you.

Back
Top Bottom