can you have and odd number of ram...e.g 3gb of ram?? or do boards only like even??

Soldato
and different brands working no problem

Some boards hate that (esp dual channel) and just won't boot.

You can't put 3 sticks of ram into ANY of the nforce 3 or 4 series either (yes I know you said 3 gigs)

Soldato
Yes, you can, and yes, on NForce boards too!

Soem boards dont like it, but most will default to single channel instead of dual.

I dotn see there being any problems other than it defaulting to single, however, one of my boards is an MSI Neo2 Platinum, and I have not dared to try out many different RAM configs on that because by *** way the docs say things, it sound like putting odd sticks of ram into it, it will kill the RAM and the Board, but the DFI LP250UT currently has 3 sticks of 512MB and thats runnign just fine, and its an NForce board.

Soldato
The DFI LP250UT is only a single channel board tho (or should I say it takes a single channel chip)

Dual channel boards is what is gonna cause the problem.

Lets take MSI..

MSI Reminds You...
• Dual-channel DDR works ONLY in the 3 combinations listed in the table shown in the previous page.
Please select the identical memory modules to install on the dual channel, and DO NOT install three memory modules on three DIMMs, or it may cause some failure.

Have to wonder if a 2 + 1 gig in single channel would work tho.
Not as if you can fill the dimms either as that IS dual channel.
It's not like you can turn it of in the BIOS.

The problem with the question is we don't know what board he is using.

Soldato
No, we dont know what Mobo it is. If we did, then thats our problem answered, but you yourself said

"You can't put 3 sticks of ram into ANY of the nforce 3 or 4 series either"

And I was pointing out that you can.

And as you also say, as MSI say, that you cannot on the MSI Neo2... 2 or 4 Single or dual is ok, but 3 is a no-no.

So, yes, knowing the Mobo, will also let us know the answer to his particular question.

Soldato
OP
Asus P5S800-VM is what i have now but looking at getting this next week Gigabyte 8N-SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket LGA775) so wondering what the deal is with both? also will conroe fit in 775 sockets?? :confused:

Soldato
See thread called 'Final clarification regarding Conroe MB support'.

Guys on that forum already have conroes, but we won't see them for a bit. see here for instance
Prices..
The family of Intel Conroe processors will initially consist of four models: E6700, E6600, E6400 and E6300 that will operate 2.67GHz, 2.40GHz, 2.13GHz and 1.86GHz, respectively. The E6700 and E6600 models will sport 4MB unified L2 cache, whereas the E6400 and E6300 will have 2MB unified level-two cache. Pricing of the parts is expected to be quite aggressive: $529, $315, $240 and $210, according to some sources. In the Q4 2006 the maker will also add the model E6800 that works at 2.93GHz and features 1066MHz bus along with 4MB cache.

That $ sign will prolly be £s in the UK :(
We never seem to get them cheap.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
split said:
Some boards hate that (esp dual channel) and just won't boot.

You can't put 3 sticks of ram into ANY of the nforce 3 or 4 series either (yes I know you said 3 gigs)

what i mean is and odd total value of ram eg if i had 4 slots...and i put in 2x1gb and 2x512.....no jus 3 sticks of ram in wen i have 4 available

Soldato
I guessed that what you meant, but I reckon it gonna depend on the board.

Lets take the MSI Nforce 4 for instance (AMD). The manual states...

Please select the identical memory modules to install on the dual
channel, and DO NOT install three memory modules on three
DIMMs, or it may cause some failure.

If you fill all four dimms, it's in dual channel (this is something you cannot turn off in the BIOS)

2x1gb and 2x512 are not 'identical memory modules'.

Go get the manual of the motherboard you intend to buy, and read it.

I have to admit, I'm not that clued up on pentium stuff.

Soldato
I want to ask while I am here...

I got a pair of Corsair 4400 TwinX in one PC

I got a pair of Corsair 4400 Platinum in another.

They are, for want of a better word, identical in absolutely EVERY way I can think of....

The thing is, that they are still different. 2 are TwinX and 2 are platinum.

Will they be ok in the MSI Neo2?

I mean, these are double sided, and I also have a matching set of 4 Samsung, however, the Samsung are PC3200 and they will go in fine, however, I am planning on running these at 250, and they are just peachy on their own at 250 but together???

I have to ask.

Soldato
I reckon your going to have to try and find out.

Do remember tho, all dimms populated with double sided mem = 333 so your going to have to use a divider.

We all know what the Neo 2 is like with mem, so good luck.

Soldato
Neo2 with mem?

Well, thats just it.

I have had the TwinX for quite some time now. I bought what I thought was another pair of this RAM, but when it came, it was Platinum.

All the gubbins abotu the RAM was the same, RAS / CAS timings etc are identical on the TwinX as they are on the Platinum, so I dont realy see any problems, however, one thing I noticed, was that the DFI LanParty 250GB UT Motherboard didnt like the Platinum, yet was fine with the TwinX ?????? - I dont get that.

So, that showed me that there must be some differences???

Oh, and I also got XMS 3500 Platinum and that runs just fine alongside the TwinX, so why did the 4400 Platinum cause issues??? Hmm... Saying that, I have since upped the BIOS and had no isses, so I may need to retest all the Corsair RAM sticks

Yes, Single sided is ok @ 400 but double sides must be 333 and I am ok with that, but then this RAM is good to go to 550 @ stock volts and both pairs have been taken to 600 ( 300FSB ) so why do I have to drop them to 333 if they are all used I dont know.

I also got a matching set of Samsung PC3200 which are single sided, so I am up for using that and limiting the RAM to 200 ( I will need to of course )

Back
Top Bottom