Started listening to SOAD again

Soldato
After a good while of not playing them, I've been playing System of a Down a lot over the last few days. Other great albums of theirs aside, Mesmerize & Hypnotize are really powerful, incredibly well balanced records.

What are your thoughts on their place in the heavy rock world?

Associate
totally different to anything out there, and in my opinion awesome toxicity is my favourite album but mesmerize and hypnotize are both very good albums too

one of my favourite bands for many a year now :D

Soldato
OP
I'm hoping they'll come over again this year - don't know if there's any news (I think they're touring the US at the moment on Ozzfest).

Saw them at Brixton last year which was a real buzz. :)

Soldato
Used to be into them loads, but find them a bit boring nowadays. Their two new albums got barely more than a few listens. Toxicity was on loop when I was 14/15 so I'm kinda bored of that album now too. Haven't listened to them in ages.

Soldato
deSade said:
What are your thoughts on their place in the heavy rock world?
I think they're awful, each song they release annoys me a little bit more than the last. They're dull and unimaginative, and I can't quite understand why so many people bum them.

Their latest song especially just stinks of "we've run out of already bad ideas for songs, so we've thrown together this nonsense about a lonely day, my loneliest day, the loneliest day of all...."

Soldato
OP
Big Chris said:
I think they're awful, each song they release annoys me a little bit more than the last. They're dull and unimaginative, and I can't quite understand why so many people bum them.

Their latest song especially just stinks of "we've run out of already bad ideas for songs, so we've thrown together this nonsense about a lonely day, my loneliest day, the loneliest day of all...."
And you listen to?

Soldato
deSade said:
And you listen to?

Mutha****ing Isis biatch!!!!

And yes, I find them boring. Toxicity for the reasons mentioned. And their new albums, because having quick changes in the songs doesn't automatically lead to them not being boring. Plus Daron or whatever his name is needs to sing less. A lot less.

Soldato
OP
IMO they are a very innovative band, just not fitting into heavy rock stereotyping is a bonus (BTW, I also think 'Lonliest Day' was a bit pap!).

Soldato
Isis
Pelican
Tool
Helmet
Oceansize

Those are my top 5 and get regular airplay, but there's a huge list besides that too that I'd rate over SOAD. Only my opinion mind, but check out Isis especially if you're of a heavy rock persuation, they could well be the best band since some other band were heralded as the best band.

Permabanned
deSade said:
Boring!!!!??

Surely that is a word you can't use about them!

That's exactly the sort of word I'd use.

Others are:

Formulaic
Predictable
Dull

"hey, guys...I've got an idea for a new song, it goes like this:

Quiet
Loud
Quiet
Loud
Soaring Chorusy Bit
Loud
Quiet
Loud!"

"OMFG! Instant win!!!11"

:/

*n

Soldato
i like them. I dont like everything they have done, but the majority of stuff is great and they are awsome live. One of the best act's ive seen. I remember being there at the Leeds festival in 2003 when they refused to play until thr crowd moved back and stopped crushing the guys at the front. muchos respect.

Soldato
OP
Big Chris said:
Isis
Pelican
Tool
Helmet
Oceansize

Those are my top 5 and get regular airplay, but there's a huge list besides that too that I'd rate over SOAD. Only my opinion mind, but check out Isis especially if you're of a heavy rock persuation, they could well be the best band since some other band were heralded as the best band.
I may be getting misunderstood about my take on SOAD - I think they are a great, innovative band - unlike most others in terms of their style. But I also rate quite a few other bands above them.

My top 5 are:

Suicidal Tendencies;
Tool (even though I still can't make a decision on 10,000 Days);
Rush;
Bad Religion; and
Clawfinger

But I can't agree with penski in calling them Formulaic, Predictable & Dull. :confused:

Man of Honour
penski said:
"hey, guys...I've got an idea for a new song, it goes like this:

Quiet
Loud
Quiet
Loud
Soaring Chorusy Bit
Loud
Quiet
Loud!"

Just shows once again you don't know what you're on about.
You obviously missed out Fast and Slow from your formula.

deSade said:
Clawfinger

Absolutely amazing band and two years ago I even got chatted up by Zak who I had to turn down :D

Back
Top Bottom