do i need a thermal compound

Permabanned
this is the heatsink i have bought

Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (HS-020-AR)

do i need to buy a thermal compound to go with it?? or can i just use it without adding anything??

Associate
depends how quickly you wanna fry your cpu!
yes, you always need thermal compound, dont waste your money and get cheap stuff either, get some arctic silver and be done!

Permabanned
OP
ok thanx, better buy some of that arctic silver then. well glad i started this thread lol. when applying arctic silver, do i cover the whole cpu itself or just the gold square in the middle

Associate
without fail on every cpu/heatsink i install the very first thing i do is to scrape off the crap compound on it and apply some nice as5, i know it is good stuff then, i wouldnt risk a serious overclock on the stuff that they put on. how do you know what is on it? ive never been able to find anything that tells me!

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
SameSuspect said:
ok thanx, better buy some of that arctic silver then. well glad i started this thread lol. when applying arctic silver, do i cover the whole cpu itself or just the gold square in the middle

My preferred method is to cover my finger with a bit of cling film like plastic and then spread a rice grain piece of AS over the CPU.

Associate
malc30 said:
My preferred method is to cover my finger with a bit of cling film like plastic and then spread a rice grain piece of AS over the CPU.

this man just saved you some very messy fingers! that stuff just doesnt wanna come off does it lol!i wasnt gonna say anything, everyone needs to get thermal compound all over themselves at least once! :D

Permabanned
OP
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) (AC-000-AC)

for use between modern high-power CPUs and high performance heatsinks or water-cooling solutions

my heatsink aint high performance, does it matter :confused:

Soldato
SameSuspect said:
1st, the heatsink should come with its own gunk - tube or preapplied. Seems you've bought some AS5 so, makes sure you remove the preapplied thermal compund on the heatsink. Good guide on doing the latter & applying AS5 here :cool:

Soldato
SameSuspect said:
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) (AC-000-AC)

for use between modern high-power CPUs and high performance heatsinks or water-cooling solutions

my heatsink aint high performance, does it matter :confused:
Whateva chip you've got, you still need thermal compound/grease.
Thermal grease's primary purpose in electronics is to substitute for the constructional imperfections of a heatsink's surface. When applied in appropriate quantities, it fills the tiny pits and grooves (particularly on today's CPUs that have a complicated surface), thereby increasing the amount of surface-to-surface contact with the CPU die.
AS5's just very good at doing the above comapred to others :)

EDIT: Read more ;)

Back
Top Bottom