• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900 GT memory not cooled?

Associate
Hello all, justgot my OcUK 7900GT and was thinking of clocking it but they dont have coolin on the memory so should i upgrade the cooling b4 clocking or should i be ok to autodetect? If i do need to upgrade the cooling will the Alphacool NexXxoS nVidia 6800/7800 Graphics Card Cooler work with the 7900GT so i can just add it to my existing Alphacool setup?

Cheers all.

Associate
OP
Right i get ya, is it different with ATI cards cos i had an X800XTPE Die on me cos the heat-sink came away from the memory and a 3 of my mates have had 2 rma ATI cards for faulty memory and they ain't even tampered that's why i thought it would be dodgy to OC.

When my OcUK 7900 arrived i was pleasantly surprised to see its actualy and XFX card and was hoping to get it to the same speeds as the XFX GeForce 7900 GT XXX Edition 256MB (550/1630).

Soldato
My X800XL (which I sold recently) overclocked very slightly further on the ram with the zalman VF900's ramsinks. I'm talking 5MHz with ati-tool auto detect.

I don't know how much it should vary card to card. Considering getting a 7900GT soon too, just to have some fun overclocking :)
(zomg first NVIdia card eva!!!)

Associate
OP
Cheers i will, btw i have had lots of ATI and NV cards and always prefer NV had nothin but probs with ATI cards. never had an NV card die on me yet.

Associate
Its not going to do any harm to add some cooling to the memory and it cant do anything but help with overclocking but watercooling is a complete waste. The alhacool blocks are much cheaper than the dangerden ones but they all add a lot of flow resisteance to the loop. Use a maze 4 or similar just on core and then use ram sinks on the memory and that will be fine

Back
Top Bottom