• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from a 9800pro - advice pls!

Soldato
My old card's given up the ghost and I'm after advice for choosing a new one.

Options:
Another 9800pro for around 45pounds
A 6600gt for 65-70
A 6800GT for around 110
A X850XT for around 110

Whats my best 'bang-for-buck' option? I havnt kept up to date with graphics recently so not sure how big the difference is between these cards. Is the 6600gt much better? Are they good prices for the bottom two or not?

Soldato
Out of those I would go for an X850 XT for sure, it's the fastest of the lot by a fair margin. It doesn't support shader model 3.0 though, so if that's important to you then hit up the 6800GT as it's a nice card.

A 6600GT isn't a lot better than a 9800 Pro, to be fair. I used to have one, and while it's a fantastic card for sure, they're just not worth buying anymore really since other stuff has gone a lot cheaper.

Soldato
OP
I was wrong about the x850, it turns out the AGP ones are more than that.
What do you think the 6800GT should go for second-hand? (roughly?) Is 100 a decent price? (This one's in the MM..)

I'm just not sure whether it'll really be worth twice as much as the 9800 to me

Back
Top Bottom