Solved HD resonating (pics)

Soldato
Hi all,

Since getting my gigabyte case i've had more problems with it resonating due to the design of the chasis. I'd seen pictures on the net before of people suspending their hard drives with elastic material to cut down on noise.

Yesterday i got fed up with the noise and decided to do this myself.

I used this picture for a reference on what to do (taken from Silent PC Review):
no-vibe-3.jpg

Here is my end result (sorry for wonky images, i was just sticking the camera n the case and taking a photo, didn't use the viewfinder):
DSC00232 (Medium).JPG

DSC00233 (Medium).JPG

DSC00235 (Medium).JPG

I would make a guide on how to do it but i thought that the pictures are pretty self explanatory. The material used was just some sewing elastic stuff i got out of my mum's sewing box, anything elastic along those lines should do fine.

Now when i turned on the pc, i was expecting to still hear seek noises etc from the drives but i didn't hear anything at all. I had to get down and open the case to actually hear the drives doing anything, and i've got a raptor!!!!!

Anyone who has problems with noisy hard drives look no further than this, and to think that i was going to shell out £30 odd on a hdd enclosure :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad to see that solved your problems.

If anybody wants a guide, there are two in the sticky at the top of the main CC page. :)

Soldato
OP
Yewen said:
Glad to see that solved your problems.

If anybody wants a guide, there are two in the sticky at the top of the main CC page. :)
I looked in there but couldn't find the guide, maybe i didn't look hard enough :p

Soldato
Ooops, the guide for your method must have been taken down.

I will have to write a new one. :(

(Can I re-host and use your pictures please?)

Cheers for pointing it out. :)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
PinkFloyd said:
Wasn't expecting that it would stop the noise from a normal seek :o
Looks like I may be trying this soon (3 drives.... noise.....)

Is it resonating noise or noise from the harddrives themselves?

Soldato
OP
PinkFloyd said:
Wasn't expecting that it would stop the noise from a normal seek :o
Looks like I may be trying this soon (3 drives.... noise.....)
Neither was i. But when it was loading windows i couldn't hear anything. I haven't had a chance to try it much because i'm banned from my pc atm (too much gaming and not enough time spent with the family :D) and i only managed to try it when my parents were out :p

Permabanned
mark1 said:
Neither was i. But when it was loading windows i couldn't hear anything. I haven't had a chance to try it much because i'm banned from my pc atm (too much gaming and not enough time spent with the family :D) and i only managed to try it when my parents were out :p

Lmao quality. I remmember being banned, parents stopped though. :D

MC_Bob

Soldato
OP
mc_bob said:
Lmao quality. I remmember being banned, parents stopped though. :D

MC_Bob
:D

Thay're out atm and i'm really craving for a good game of COD2, haven't played in a week :p I'm scared they'll come back and catch me then i won't be able to go on it for ages :D

Or i could just say i need it for my homework ;)

Soldato
mark1 said:
:D

Thay're out atm and i'm really craving for a good game of COD2, haven't played in a week :p I'm scared they'll come back and catch me then i won't be able to go on it for ages :D

Or i could just say i need it for my homework ;)

Yeah say its your history homework. Say that you've been given the task to find out how the Americans killed the Germans in WWII ;)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
KizZ said:
Yeah say its your history homework. Say that you've been given the task to find out how the Americans killed the Germans in WWII ;)

Your knowledge of history makes me :rolleyes:

Associate
I have soft mounted my HDDs in a different way. I tried the elastic suspension but there isn't enough room in the V1000 HDD rack for it to work properly. I went for a different aproach of seating the HDDs on soft gel pads. It works as well as the elastics. When I touch the HDDs with my finger I can feel them vibrate but when I touch the HDD rack there is none. Here are a couple of pictures how it looks:

dscf0977a8rn.jpg

dscf0979a6hz.jpg

Soldato
Mikey1280 said:
Nice ideas guys, just wondering how are you cooling your drives mark1 as I assume they are now in 5.25 bays?

Not him, but in my Dragon quite well due to them having a lot of space around them.

Only thing is the heat does not transfer to the case from being screwed in.

Not a issue, will be the same temps as a non fanned rubber mounted hard drive, or maybe a bit lower depending on the case.

Back
Top Bottom