What microATX motherboard for HTPC ?

Soldato
Hi,

was just wondering what you guys reccomend for a microATX motherboard for an HTPC machine.

there are soo many around so not sure what to choose, haven't got CPU yet so socket does n't matter atm, just the price :)

Soldato
Any motherboards with NVIDIA 6150/6100 GPU are good, i.e. apart from a decent graphics chip, they've got SATA2, etc. Most ppl here will recommend Asus A8N-VM CSM :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Snow-Munki said:
thanks for the quick reply, how about the ATI ones, seem a few of those around.
Don't know much about those one's i'm afraid. Got interested in the NVIDIA one's because they claim Windows Vista Ready with that GPU!

Suspended
Snow-Munki said:
Hi,

was just wondering what you guys reccomend for a microATX motherboard for an HTPC machine.

there are soo many around so not sure what to choose, haven't got CPU yet so socket does n't matter atm, just the price :)

Asus CSM board is good, onboard managed 1080p. Fine unless you need multiple PCI card (tuner, radio etc)

Soldato
The Asus is a very good board, as is the Foxconn 6150 based board. If you want to have a go at overclocking look into the Biostar TForce 6100 mobo. It has loads of options and the best overclocks on mATX boards have been obtained on the Biostar.
The DFI RS482 Infinity is another very capable option, but difficult to source in the UK.

Soldato
OP
p4radox said:
The Asus is a very good board, as is the Foxconn 6150 based board. If you want to have a go at overclocking look into the Biostar TForce 6100 mobo. It has loads of options and the best overclocks on mATX boards have been obtained on the Biostar.
The DFI RS482 Infinity is another very capable option, but difficult to source in the UK.

oh, i was going to get the MSI one, the one you have not mention, no good ?

Soldato
Snow-Munki said:
oh, i was going to get the MSI one, the one you have not mention, no good ?

I've not really had any experience of it, nor heard anything about it. I've had good solid MSI boards in the past though so it should be fine. :)

Are you going to overclock?

Suspended
Which Silverstone case? I looked at a few of them, all the MATX desktop cases have low profile, not enough for PCI and PCIE cards to be used. Purchased the TJ07, granted not HTPC looking but enough space. HD cage bit of a pain to fit HD, but apart from that ok. 7v modded case fans, 1600rpm CPU. Pretty quiet.

htpcc.jpg

The Asus has DVI out, the MSI doesn't. But the MSI has optical header port.

Soldato
OP
squiffy, you talking to me ??

As i have a coolermaster htpc case, desktop style but yeah pretty cramp.

oh and have double checked the MSI one does have DVI if you get the better version.

Suspended
I hope so, otherwise what's the point of the PCI-E slot? :) I think my BIOS does have a disable option. If not just don't install the Nivida graphics driver and disable it in device manager.

Associate
the other thing that concerns me is the north/southbridge heatsinks - Ive an x800xl with an ATI Silencer fitted I want to put on the mATX board - will these interfere?

Associate
I have an HIS x800xl in my Asus n4lvm-dh board, no problems with space (bios auto disables the built-in vga)

I think its the cheapest core board around.

Back
Top Bottom