Arctic Silver 5 vs Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive

Soldato
Looking for some sort of alternative to thermal pads for the memroy chips on my graphics card, i bought some pads, they were crap.
Ive used Arctic Silver before, but on a CPU, i know it can be used on the GPU on the graphics card, but due to it being a good conductor should i stay away from it for the memory chips on the card?
But the thermal adhesive is supposedly hard to get off once it goes on, as thats it job.
So is it possible to use the Silver on the all parts of the graphics card ? Or is it more suitable to use the thermal adhesive, or even the ceramique?

Soldato
The best advice and methods I have heard of when it comes to ram sinks is one of two options.

1 ... put a small amount of AS5 in the centre of the memory chip, then put 4 small drops of superglue at the corners. This then allows you to attach the ramsinks easily and let's you remove them un the future also.

or

2 ... mix some thermal adhesive 50:50 with some ordinary Arctic Silver, which will still provide a secure adhesive, but let you remove them in future

Soldato
OP
Ther thermal adhesive comes in 2 parts doesnt it ?
One is the glue part the other is like arctic silver?
The adhesive one you mix 50:50 the glue with the thermal paste which creates the adhesive, if i mixed less of the glue in with the other half, it would still stick but not as hard?

or is the best option to buy the AS5 and the thermal adhesive one aswell?

Soldato
nah the two tubes you get is the glue and the activater as it were - both of them seperate they won't set - when you mix the two parts together it starts an exothermic chemical reaction which causes the adhesive to set :)

I think ^ is right though - so to create a weaker adhesive you need to dilute it as it were. By mixing in some normal arctic silver. Although don't hold me to this, this is only what I believe to be correct :)

Soldato
OP
might go for the superglue and AS5 option then, but will it have to be certain type of glue or just general superglue for plastics ?
doubt ill be taking off the cooler once it goes on, unless it breaks :p

if i went with the 1st option though, i would have to buy the thermal adhesive products and then the AS5, costly =[

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom