Safe mode problem

Associate
I've just bought a Samsung 26" LCD TV which I'm also using as my computer monitor.

When I boot my computer into Safe Mode, the TV comes up saying unsupported mode? I run the TV in its native res of 1360 x 768 normally, but shouldn't safe mode just load up as normal?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ns400r said:
Read the TV manual, what modes does it support ?
Safe mode is 640x480 is I remember.

Yup I checked the manual, that's why i'm a bit confused as it says it supports 640 x 480 and I didn't think safe mode would be any lower than that :confused:

Associate
OP
No fraid not, connecting the PC via a HDMI > DVI converter (the TV only has HDMI, not DVI) throws up all sorts of problems according to the thread about it in the Home Cinema part of the forum, so I only run it off the VGA.

Don't understand it :mad:

Associate
OP
The manual says that in 640 x 480 the supported refresh rate is 59.940, so would this be why there is a problem? Because the monitor is set to 60Hz and safe mode drops below it?

The TV is detected in windows as just a Plug and play monitor by the way.

Associate
OP
I just removed the Nvidia drivers to see if it would cause the same problem in normal mode and it does. Once I rebooted the screen would not display the windows logon screen, so it must be down to the fact that the default windows driver doesn't display at 60Hz, would this be correct?

If so, does anyone know if it is possible to force it to do so? I had to connect up my old monitor just to reinstall the new drivers, seems ridiculous that I'd have to keep another monitor around just to do that?

Caporegime
AshM said:
If so, does anyone know if it is possible to force it to do so? I had to connect up my old monitor just to reinstall the new drivers, seems ridiculous that I'd have to keep another monitor around just to do that?
You're using a device that isn't a PC monitor as one, why is it so rediculous that Windows doesn't have it's display modes stored as defaults? Just keep a spare monitor around for when things go **** up.

Associate
OP
Caged said:
You're using a device that isn't a PC monitor as one, why is it so rediculous that Windows doesn't have it's display modes stored as defaults? Just keep a spare monitor around for when things go **** up.

I didn't say it was ridiculous that they aren't stored as defaults, I was implying it's ridiculous that there is not a way around it without having to keep a spare monitor nearby. I suppose I expected that as a fair amount of people use these screens as PC monitors as well as a TV that the manufacturer would have done something to get round it. But if that isn't possible then so be it.

Soldato
Can't be too hard to work out. If it were mine then I'd spend a little more time finding how to do it, but it's not so you'll have the honour. :D

From what I can tell, the TV wants 640x480 @ 72Hz.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom