What speed with my line stats? MaxDSL worth it?

Permabanned
Connection speed 1152kpbs downstream, 288 upstream.

Line attenuation 45db downstream 14db upstream

Noise margin 8db downstream 27db upstream

I'm with the old Zen 1mb package that is totally unrestricted, I've heard I cant expect much more than 2mb on my line with Max?

If you had my 1MB that is totally stable and unrestricted, would you risk MaxDSL that all seem to be capped now? Also reading between the lines, MaxDSL looks pretty flaky for a lot of people.

Decisions, decisions

Associate
Mr Bulbous said:
Connection speed 1152kpbs downstream, 288 upstream.

Line attenuation 45db downstream 14db upstream

Noise margin 8db downstream 27db upstream
I'm surprised that you have such a low downstream margin at only 8 dB :eek:

I was on a 1 Mb connection before Max DSL and I used to get between 24-29 dB on a line with a 54 dB attenuation.

I wonder if you have faulty wiring or an extension that would account for the low SN/R margin?

Soldato
CurlyWhirly said:
I'm surprised that you have such a low downstream margin at only 8 dB :eek:
You'd definitely think it should be lower. Try the Master socket with extensions removed to rule out internal wiring. If SNR doesn't increase, then you just have a very noisy line. Don't bother with max if that's the case, you're not even going to get 2Mb.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys,

Hmm, faulty wiring I don't know? that would cost me for BT to check it, wouldn't it? No extension, the router is plugged directly into the wall. I might try removing the face plate and plugging it into the master socket ?

But your comments seem to confirm what I thought. With 1mb unlimited, I'd be best staying as I am, even if it does cost £30.

Cheers.

Soldato
Mr Bulbous said:
I might try removing the face plate and plugging it into the master socket
Yep - that's what I was referring to. On the NTE5 boxes, removing the faceplate disconnects all the extension wiring. If doing that increases your SNR considerably, then there is something in your extension wiring causing the noise. If little or nothing changes, then there's nothing you can do really.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks again.

Checked again and my downstream margin is now 9db, don't suppose that will make much difference though.

I'll try the router in the master socket soon, would need to shift my desk to do that.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom