• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Athlon 64 3000 good enough for HDTV's ?

Soldato
Hi,

just about to order new parts for my media PC. The CPU, going to get the Athlon XP 3000 due to the low price really, at £72.

whereas the 3200 is extra £20 for example.

Permabanned
Snow-Munki said:
Hi,

just about to order new parts for my media PC. The CPU, going to get the Athlon XP 3000 due to the low price really, at £72.

whereas the 3200 is extra £20 for example.

It'll be perfect for a hdtv setup. You can always overclock it aswell :p

Associate
OV3RCLOCK3R said:
It'll be perfect for a hdtv setup. You can always overclock it aswell :p

Yup, I'm sure you can oc it to 2-2.2 ghz and still be able to lower the Vcore :D

HOLD ON! Why would you use socket a?? :eek:

Associate
Snow-Munki said:
whoops, mean 64. slight typo, going from an athlon xp 1800. :)

OK, good :) . As previously stated I would overclock it a few hundreds mhz, should do it at stock vcore or maybe you can even lower the vcore. Which is important in a HTPC :)

Suspended
Depending on your GFX card, and whether or not DIVX/XVID or WMV, should be fine, however scaling does require hefty amounts of CPU power, especially if you're going to use processing. I can run WMV 1080P on 6150 with 60% CPU load 2.2ghz 3700+ This isn't scaling though. Others have recommended 3ghz, which is entirely possible you need this. For DVD's 20% load. AVI's scaling to monitor in my sig around 50% also.

Soldato
OP
squiffy said:
Depending on your GFX card, and whether or not DIVX/XVID or WMV, should be fine, however scaling does require hefty amounts of CPU power, especially if you're going to use processing. I can run WMV 1080P on 6150 with 60% CPU load 2.2ghz 3700+ This isn't scaling though. Others have recommended 3ghz, which is entirely possible you need this. For DVD's 20% load. AVI's scaling to monitor in my sig around 50% also.

thanks, will use the onboard gfx card on the MSI motherboard as discussed earlier, nvidia 6150.

guess i could always upgrade the 3000 to whatever in future ?

Suspended
oh I thought you were talking about Silverstone cases, must've been someone else.
yup apparently the board supports X2, but I guess need pure speed rather than dual core which isn't really used for a HTPC (unless doing video recording and playback at the same time from different channels) I doubt the extra few hundred megahertz will help if it's juddering if scaling/processing is enabled. I guess a faster graphics card with hardware acceleration will help more than a faster core CPU upgrade.

btw going to try out a ATI PCIE X300, compare with CPU overhead in video. Going to install on another HD, don't fancy ATI drivers messing up Nvidia GFX when I go back.

Back
Top Bottom