Sun Tan Lotion

Associate
Does anyone know if sun tan lotion has a shelf life? The half used ones I have from a couple of years ago don't have any expiry date on them and I'd rather not buy new stuff this year because it's just so expensive.

Soldato
Grrrrr said:
That is such an OcUK reply
:confused: :confused: :confused:

2 summers I go I found two bottles of sun lotion from a summer that was ages ago. Faced with the same dilemma, I took the sensible option and bought a new (and smaller) bottle.

What does that have to do with OcUK? :confused:

Associate
OP
Because (a lot of the time) nobody directly answers the simple question asked. I am fully aware of the risks thank you. If you don't know the answer then don't reply.

Don't want too sound rude as you did reply but it is a stereotypical response.

Soldato
I gave you a perfectly valid answer - when it comes to health, do not compromise and don't take a risk. How is that not valid :confused: The state of the sun lotion is irrelevant but having said that, whatever material it is, it does deteriorate over time. Hence - don't risk it!

Associate
philhoole said:
Does anyone know if sun tan lotion has a shelf life? The half used ones I have from a couple of years ago don't have any expiry date on them and I'd rather not buy new stuff this year because it's just so expensive.

If I recall the DHA they use in fake tan lotions does degrade over time and become less affective,

Michael

Edit: Just notice you don't mean fake tan lotion.

Associate
OP
Ex-RoNiN said:
I gave you a perfectly valid answer - when it comes to health, do not compromise and don't take a risk. How is that not valid :confused: The state of the sun lotion is irrelevant but having said that, whatever material it is, it does deteriorate over time. Hence - don't risk it!

OK I'll bite. I thought I'd been polite. I know you were well meaning in your response but,

If the companies that sell a product such as sun tan lotion do not print an expiry date on their bottles then perhaps it's not unreasonable to assume that it has an essentially indeffinite life. Why should a product deteriorate over time if the chemical compounds are stable? Do they magically change into something else?

If you knew the reason why things change then you could have put in your reply and I would have been grateful but your answer told me nothing. In fact your answer essentially assumes that I'm stupid because I like to think my life is worth more than £30.

Soldato
philhoole said:
OK I'll bite. I thought I'd been polite. I know you were well meaning in your response but,

If the companies that sell a product such as sun tan lotion do not print an expiry date on their bottles then perhaps it's not unreasonable to assume that it has an essentially indeffinite life. Why should a product deteriorate over time if the chemical compounds are stable? Do they magically change into something else?

If you knew the reason why things change then you could have put in your reply and I would have been grateful but your answer told me nothing. In fact your answer essentially assumes that I'm stupid because I like to think my life is worth more than £30.

I did not intend to portray you as stupid. I simply wanted to amplify the point that not having an expiry date on it does not mean that the quality of the product does not decay over time - I would say its a reasonable assumption that anything decays over time.

Incidentally, I have had a quick look around and found the following:

Can you use the sunblock cream left over from last year?

If a product has a shelf life of more than two-and-a-half years, the manufacturer is not obliged under cosmetics legislation to quote an expiry date.

So can we use the sunblock cream we bought last year? Not with safety.

Try to smell it and look at it. If it smells off or if it separates, it is either full of bacteria or has been destroyed in some other way and should therefore be discarded.

The reason why the product does not last for the two-and-a-half years may be that it has been left in the sun longer than is good for it.

It is not a good idea to leave sunblock creams and other creams in the sun where they may become heated. Instead they should be left in a shady and cool place, ideally in the refrigerator, when not in use.

Source

So in conclusion, I did not want to make you appear stupid, I had a suspicion which was confirmed, but incidentally also part-confirmed your assumption.

Hope we're cool? :)

Associate
OP
We are indeed cool :cool: I didn't know about the 2.5 year expiry legislation which is very interesting.

I just had a quick rummage through my "medical" things and even the tube of toothpaste has an expiry date - 2008. So it was odd when the sun tan lotion didn't have a date even if it was an arbitary one.

As an aside, I wonder how much a bottle of lotion really costs to make? It suits the manufacturers that people like me go to sunny places on holiday with a full intention of getting a tan which is in itself risky and covering myself in their lotion to minimise the damage. Perhaps I am stupid ;)

Soldato
philhoole said:
As an aside, I wonder how much a bottle of lotion really costs to make? It suits the manufacturers that people like me go to sunny places on holiday with a full intention of getting a tan which is in itself risky and covering myself in their lotion to minimise the damage. Perhaps I am stupid ;)
Buy fake tan and paint yourself orange, no one will notice, honest :p

edit: Should point out I've only used sun block for the last 10 years plus and have no desire to sit on a beach and slowly bake myself. Nor do I wish to paint myself orange :D

Back
Top Bottom