Setting up cable internet prob

Associate
I've just changed my operating system to windows xp pro 64bit, which has caused a number of problems.

The main problem i have is setting up the internet, as i've found that windows 64bit doesnt support usb modems :mad:

So therefore i have to connect my motorola surfboard 5100 via a cat5 cable to the onboard socket.

I just cant seem to get a connection, am i being stupid???

Caporegime
Tried switching the modem off, switching the modem on, waiting for the lights to settle down then hooking up the machine?

Associate
OP
err, no! i will give it a go in a bit. (running 2 operating systems on seperate drives so means i have to reboot to try it out)

I have tried having the cable disconnected on boot then connecting it once windows is started and you don't get the 'new hardware added' BEEP! like when connecting it by usb.

Caporegime
bustburr said:
I have tried having the cable disconnected on boot then connecting it once windows is started

Which won't do anything useful.

you don't get the 'new hardware added' BEEP! like when connecting it by usb.

That's meaningless. You won't get that even if it is working ok :p

Man of Honour
You'll need to power down the modem as it can only store one mac address. Changing from usb/ethernet or changing nic will need you to do this.

Associate
OP
cheers duke.

I have had the modem permanently on!

I wish computers could just speak to you, even if it just to tell you to "bugger off sticking things in me"

Associate
OP
YaY! :D

So simple! Though i didnt know that the modem stored the mac address, I thought it was the computer.

Cheers guys :cool:

scrolling web pages is really really slow now tho, i'll have to do some updating!

Back
Top Bottom